Jonas
17 years ago
4 years ago
Premium
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/4e/2015_Africa_Cup_of_Nations_logo.png/200px-2015_Africa_Cup_of_Nations_logo.png

17 January - 8 February

http://www.welkessa.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Image.ashx_.jpg

Over the years I've come to enjoy and appreciate the African Cup of Nations almost as much as any other international tournament. Perhaps the reason is because there is always something happening both on and off the pitch throughout the tournament. Perhaps it is my affection for the continent as a whole, it's diversity and all the interesting aspects of African football in general. Anyway, in about a fortnight it's kicking off yet again. Not without controversies; as I'm sure you are all familiar with the hosting situation seeing Morocco withdraw and being disqualified in a baffling manner, Jonathan Wilson writes.

Another reason to my fondness of the AFCON is the fact that you get to discover a new player or team to your liking, one that you maybe don't get to see on a regular basis elsewhere. Then you have the magnificent goals, the skillful dribblers and of course bizarre celebrations. I mean, in what any other tournament do you find the goalkeeper to celebrate like DR Congo's Robert Kidiaba 'bum hopping' dance last time out? The tactical flaws and the sometimes understandable decision making on and off the pitch is just part of the charm of it all.

Together with disqualified Morocco, reigning champions Nigeria, seven times champions Egypt, Angola and Adebayor's Togo are among the sides that failed to qualify for the tournament. Congo make their first appearance since 2000 and Cameroon are back having failed to qualified for the last two editions. Famous names to miss out on the tournament apart from the obvious ones of Nigeria and such, are Didier Drogba and Samuel Eto'o due to international retirement then you have Demba Ba, Alex Song, Kwadwo Asamoah, Sulley Muntari, Kevin-Prince Boateng, Christopher Samba, Joël Matip, Didier Zokora and Tshabalala for various other reasons.

Not all the squads are final as of yet but I'd reckon the stars for this years tournament are likely to be Jonathan Pitroipa, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Youssef Msakni, Yannick Bolasie, Asamoah Gyan, André Ayew, Yacine Brahimi, the Senegal attacking force, Yaya Touré, Seydou Keita and Stéphane Mbia to name some. Algeria, Ghana, Ivory Coast and Cameroon are the obvious favourites to win it all but as favourites have proven to fail over the years in the AFCON however it's all up for grabs really. Winning their qualification group Cape Verde is a team with potential for an upset.

African Cup of Nations Participants from the Premier League, Championship and League One:

Bournemouth: Tokelo Rantie (South Africa); Cardiff: Bruno Ecuele Manga (Gabon); Crystal Palace: Yannick Bolasie (DR Congo); Charlton: Frédéric Bulot (Gabon); Doncaster Rovers: Dean Furman (South Africa); Everton: Christian Atsu (Ghana); Leicester City: Riyad Mahrez (Algeria), Jeffrey Schlupp (Ghana); Liverpool: Kolo Toure (Ivory Coast); Man City: Yaya Toure (Ivory Coast); Middlesbrough: Albert Adomah (Ghana); Newcastle United: Mehdi Abeid (Algeria), Papiss Cisse (Senegal), Cheick Tiote (Ivory Coast); Peterborough: Gabriel Zakuani (DR Congo); Sheffield Wednesday: Kamil Zayatte (Guinea) Southampton: Sadio Mane (Senegal), Emmanuel Mayuka (Zambia); Stoke City: Mame Biram Diouf (Senegal); Swansea City: Wilfried Bony (Ivory Coast); Tottenham Hotspur: Nabil Bentaleb (Algeria); West Brom: Youssouf Mulumbu (DR Congo); West Ham: Cheikhou Kouyate, Diafra Sakho (both Senegal); Wolverhampton: Bakary Sako (Mali).

TV: Eurosport, ITV4 and beIN Sports.
motoclub
16 years ago
5 months ago
I'm cheering for an underdog, Cape Vert (Cabo Verde)
George14brfc
12 years ago
3 years ago
I am glad Benin didn't qualify! So we don't lose Gestede.
Jonas
17 years ago
4 years ago
Premium
Who's this Kwesi Appiah lad? Not everyday you see someone playing in League Two make the squad for a national side of Ghana's calibre.

In other news Sadio Mane (Senegal), Mehdi Abeid and Essaid Belkalem (both Algeria) have been ruled out of the tournament due to injuries. Jeff Schlupp (Ghana), Stephane Mbia (Cameroon) and Ismael Diomande and Max Gradel (both Ivory Coast) are also doubtful.

Meanwhile hosts Equatorial Guinea have fired Basque coach Andoni Goikoetxea and hired Esteban Becker as his replacement just two weeks before the tournament kicks off.
Jonas
17 years ago
4 years ago
Premium
Jonas
17 years ago
4 years ago
Premium
Kicks off today!

Equatorial Guinea - Congo 16.00 GMT
Burkina Faso - Gabon 19.00 GMT
Jonas
17 years ago
4 years ago
Premium
Gabon could prove to be a dark horse. Beat runners up from 2013 Burkina Faso 2-0 earlier, they have one of the best players of the tournament in Aubameyang, they are playing close to home, unbeaten in the qualifiers and they have a young, talented squad (won the African U23 Ch. ship in 2011).

Oh, and the pitch looked to be in surprisingly good condition. On tele anyway.

Lovely run to set up Nsue for the goal. That nutmeg.
Chera
16 years ago
3 years ago
King in defence was class for them.

Still reckon Burkino Faso qualify despite their loss.
Jonas
17 years ago
4 years ago
Premium
Algerie in big trouble against South Africa. 1-0 down and South Africa just missed a peno where Algerie were lucky not to have a man sent off. Action!
Jonas
17 years ago
4 years ago
Premium
And all of a sudden it's 2-1 to Algerie.
Jonas
17 years ago
4 years ago
Premium
motoclub
16 years ago
5 months ago
Cheering for Cape Verde. Great result against Tunisia in first match
K3V0
15 years ago
1 year ago
Jonas
17 years ago
4 years ago
Premium
Ghana v Algeria starts now. Hopefully they'll put on a better show than what Group B had to offer yesterday.
Jonas
17 years ago
4 years ago
Premium
Standings so far:

https://sortitoutsi.net/uploads/mirrored_images/obp0XbMB4CSQnKJXrjgqvUxGxekLi7I8yKphJJV3.png
https://sortitoutsi.net/uploads/mirrored_images/SqiHYrRDBAVrFgl4Wf3JLxXZvgVvajkaF9yqb8Nt.png

Quarter finals:

31 January
Congo - DR Congo
Tunisia - Equatorial Guinea

1 February
??? - Algeria
Ghana - ???
Jonas
17 years ago
4 years ago
Premium
Live score:

Cameroon 0-0 Ivory Coast
Guinea 1-0 Mali

Seydou Keita just missed a penalty for Mali, minutes after Constant put Guinea ahead from the spot.

Played 20 mins.
Jonas
17 years ago
4 years ago
Premium
Mali have equalised through Maiga. A goal from Cameroon now and the entire group will be decided on drawing of lots.
Sam
17 years ago
1 year ago
Come on Cameroon, four more minutes to score.
Jonas
17 years ago
4 years ago
Premium
Bad news for Man City as Ivory Coast go through. No Yaya or Bony against Chelsea.

Cameroon were completely toothless infront of goal in the second half, I don't think they even had a single attempt on goal. Mbia was class though and came out on top in the midfield duel against Yaya, who once again had a poor game.

And as always there is something out of the ordinary happening at the Afcon: Guinea and Mali will draw lots tomorrow morning for the last knockout phase place. Imagine the nerves and tension in those camps tonight.

Had Algeria and Mali as favourites to win before the tournament kicked off, so obviously hoping for Mali to hit the jackpot tomorrow. \o/
Jonas
17 years ago
4 years ago
Premium

They could have just played extra time + pens last night tbf.
Carroll.
15 years ago
3 years ago

They could have just played extra time + pens last night tbf.

I was going to say,why didn't they? Even if the other game ended a draw too, could have just made both extra time and pens
Jonas
17 years ago
4 years ago
Premium
I was going to say,why didn't they? Even if the other game ended a draw too, could have just made both extra time and pens

I think the same rules apply for tie-break scenarios at the World Cup too. Stupid.
Jonas
17 years ago
4 years ago
Premium
First quarter finals last night:

Congo 2-4 DR Congo
Tunisia 1-2 Equatorial Guinea a.e.t

Fantastic comeback from DR Congo who were 2-0 behind at the hour mark. Two goals from good 'ol Mbokani.

Pathetic refereeing in the other quarter final as hosts Equatorial Guinea were given a really soft penalty in the 91st minute and Javier Balboa made it 1-1 from the spot. The same man became a national hero nine minutes into the extra time as he bent in a great struck free kick, which also looked soft. Scandalous really.

Tunisia obviously not happy with the ref.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8toRGrIYAESdGg.jpg:large

The action continues today with Ghana - Guinea (16.00 GMT) and Ivory Coast - Algeria (19.30).
Jonas
17 years ago
4 years ago
Premium

Ghana are through to the semi's after beating Guinea 3-0. Something tells me it would have been a more evenly matched contest had Mali won the lottery. Cambridge's Kwesi Appiah with one goal btw.

Ghana - Equatorial Guinea
DR Congo - Ivory Coast/Algeria
K3V0
15 years ago
1 year ago
That's a bit of a golazzzzzzzzzzzo!!
K3V0
15 years ago
1 year ago

Security guard on the far right closest to the referee looks a bit like Patrice Evra
Jonas
17 years ago
4 years ago
Premium
And Les Elephants take the lead through Bony!
K3V0
15 years ago
1 year ago
And Les Elephants take the lead through Bony!

Has he been having a good tournament Jonas?
Jonas
17 years ago
4 years ago
Premium
Has he been having a good tournament Jonas?

He's looked more lively tonight than in the group stages. In general they have been rather bleak in attack all tournament, and I'd say Serge Aurier and Max Gradel have been their best players so far.

He did this though.
Chera
16 years ago
3 years ago
I thought these 2 were the best 2 teams in the competition but tonights been a poor game. Surprised Slimani didn't start for Algeria, expect him on either at the break or after 55/60 mins.

You'll need to Login to comment