** Version 3 released 28th March **
This is version 3 of my 80s Style European Competitions that I have released over the last few years. There's been a bit of an overhaul from the first version. Version 3 sees me reverting back to using all 54 Nations again instead of 48 teams in version 2. However, unlike in the first version, San Marino's clubs will drift in and out of the European Cup and in the case of the European Cup Winners' Cup, San Marino's and Gibraltar's clubs fluctuate depending on if the Title Holders defend their crown.
The last major change from the previous versions sees the Scottish League Cup winners qualify for the UEFA Cup providing they have not already qualified via another route. This follows the English League Cup winners that I introduced in version 2. Both these were in place during the 80s, and it wasn't until 1995 that UEFA decided to put a stop to allowing the Scottish League Cup winners entry. Raith Rovers were the last to take advantage of this rule in 1994/95 season!
The competitions in order of importance are as follows....
European Cup: 54 team tournament. League Champions only plus the holders of the competition from the previous year. If the holders are also their nation's champions then an extra nation is invited to take part.
European Cup Winners' Cup: 54 team tournament again. (The first season sees 48 teams involved due to 3 nations not playing a Cup competition the year before). Domestic FA Cup winners take part. In the event that a team has done a league and cup double, then the runner-up takes their place. ** Yes, I finally got to see this work properly, after years of trying! ** Holders from the year before are invited back if not in the EC.
UEFA Cup: 112 team tournament, with a 2 legged final. A nation can have between 2 and 4 representatives depending on the ranking of the nation. Qualifying teams are based on league positions, and in England and Scotland, the League Cup winners qualify as they used to back in the day. (In modern times the English League Cup winner qualifies for the Europa Conference League, but not so anymore for Scotland). The holders are also invited back if not already partaking in European competition.
European Super Cup: The winners of the EC play the winners of the ECWC in August.
- All matches are played over 2 legs, with the away goals rule included. The exception to this is the finals in the EC, ECWC, and the Super Cup.
- Liechtenstein get a representative in the ECWC, as despite no domestic league, they do have a domestic cup.
- I've now got the 'Round Tree' to show when looking at the Stages screen.
- Russia and Belarus are included. I'm not making a political statement here, I just prefer to see the teams competing. It's still a game after all!
- I have a added club coefficient points for drawing and winning matches. This is based on how it was in the 80s. I cannot get the coefficients page to show in the game as I had to keep the rules as fixed, and they only show in flexible rules. However if you look at the League Reputation page, in the Europe tab, you will see that the top 16 leagues are the countries that will be receiving byes to the first round of the EC and ECWC. This does change over time. I have tested into the next century and I can confirm that this part of the game is dynamic. I don't know if my allocation of club coefficient points effects the league rankings but it is something I will explore further in future releases.
- The Club World Championship works in the game, but I have haven't got my head round how teams are picked. I have paid no attention to it as I use a 6 team Club World Cup file. It will work with other files as well. The winners of the EC are instructed to qualify for it.
- The 3rd Round of the UEFA Cup plays during the 2022 World Cup. It's FIFA's fault. The calendar is bunged so I just left it be. It'll only clash that year.
- Some European leagues have European playoffs at the end of their season. These are rendered useless now as the UEFA Cup takes the league placings for the qualifiers. Belgium and Romania spring to mind. If the league splits into a Championship group the final placings in this mini league is what counts.
- You will notice at the end of the season that the league champions have a 'C' next to them in the final league table. There's no visible information from the league table screen to say who has qualified for what. This is not a bug. It is because I did away with the Europe > Continent > Teams tab in the editor. You can find out who has qualified for what by clicking the team overview and then competition to see what they're involved in in the new season.
- Please use the Dutch file attached along with this file if you want the Dutch FA Cup to work.
- Place both files in the 'editor data' folder, and tick them when you start a new career game.
You'll need to Login to comment
Daniel s Archer
Sorry for being stupid, but I can't work out where I'm supposed to put this in order to access it in the game. Could someone help me please.
Put both files in the My Documents / sports interactive / football manager 2023 / editor data folder. Start a new career and you should have the 2 files available to tick once you select your database in the top right hand corner. Tick these 2 files and then continue to set your game up as normal.
Daniel s Archer
If it weren't for the foreign player bug you mention above then this would be a great database, I can't use hardly any of the players in the Arsenal squad because they're classed as foreign. I'll be keeping my eye out for any updates from you on this issue. Nice idea though 🙂
Well Geoff, I'm not sure how to break this to you, but when I do get the squad selection to work properly I think you'll still have the same issues! Maybe it's working but not showing in the rules and I haven't realised? I'll have to have a tinker about tonight.
This is a snippet from the FM22 version which I want to implement. It's all designed to encourage home grown players, younger players, and so you can't just fill the team with a load of Johnny Foreigners 🙂
I've checked the file this evening and can confirm that the squad selection rules I have set are definitely not working. I see that the UEFA Cup is stating no more than 3 non EU players allowed in the starting 11. Yeah this is a bug as I have not set that at all. I can't even see where that is being picked up from. I just hope Sports Interactive get on the ball and sort it out !!! If you get Arsenal into any of the other 2 competitions then there are no restrictions due to the bug.
I appreciate your efforts in reaching out to SI about it. I'll just wait to see if you're able to fix the issue then try again with the updated DB. I love the concept of this as I remember the old style European competitions.
GOOD NEWS. There was no bug at all, in was my error that caused the squad selection criteria to not work properly. I have fixed it, and all now works as it should.
How do I put an updated download up? Do I just add the new version on, or delete the old one, or both?
EDIT: Ok I think I've updated the file. If anyone would care to let me know if what I put up is working? Thanks
You will have to start a new game to see the changes.
anyways can you do 00s Style European Competitons and 10s Style European Competitons
Sorry Hugo I'm stuck in the 80s 😎
well is there someone else will do 90s and 00s european competitons style for me
Edit all good 🙂
Stop hassling if it's something you want either start your own thread or try to do it yourself
I have just updated the file to now include Awards for all 3 competitions except the Super Cup.
I have released a new version of my 80s style European Competitions. There's been a major overhaul of the first version. Enjoy !
Hi Moriarty, could you make a version of the cup database including also the Intertoto cup and the Mitropa?...Please!
I wasn't too sure about these tournaments so I have done a bit of reading about them. Honestly though, despite being around during the 80s they really did play second fiddle to the big UEFA competitions. I do plan on a version 3 after the last SI update as I may tweak the amount of countries in the EC and ECWC to include some more, but I won't be introducing any new competitions to the file, sorry.
I have created a version 3 of this file, and have updated the link at the top of the page to replace version 2. The main changes are I have reverted back to involving all nations in all competitions, and have added the Scottish League Cup winners entry to the UEFA Cup as per UEFA rules in the 80s.