Slashman X
17 years ago
4 months ago
Premium
Thought I'd start one just for general discussion:

Former England captain Gary Lineker leads BBC television's coverage of the 2014 World Cup and will be joined by Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand, France World Cup winner Thierry Henry, and former Dutch midfielder and current AC Milan coach Clarence Seedorf.

Crystal Palace manager Tony Pulis and Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper and former USA international Brad Friedel are new signings for the Radio 5 live punditry team along with Celtic manager and former Northern Ireland midfielder Neil Lennon, who will have a combined role across TV and radio.

They join the impressive BBC roster of former internationals working across TV and radio of Alan Hansen, Alan Shearer, Chris Waddle, Martin Keown, Kevin Kilbane, Mark Lawrenson, Danny Mills, Danny Murphy, Phil Neville, Robbie Savage, Pat Nevin, Jason Roberts and John Hartson.

Rio

Henry is a good shout though, knows his stuff

In addition to the football action, the BBC is producing a range of programmes across TV and radio that reflect the sights, sounds, culture and history of Brazil as well as delving deep into the heart of football, fronted by top names including David Beckham, Gary Lineker and Rio Ferdinand.

Barbara Slater, Director, BBC Sport, says: "The BBC is the home of big sporting events and it doesn't get much bigger than the World Cup. Our aim is for this to be the first truly 24/7 World Cup and we will deliver a complete experience for our audience through both traditional and digital platforms.

"We've put together a great cast of pundits, presenters, commentators and reporters to steer audiences though the tournament and we can't wait to bring the infectious excitement of this competition to our viewers and listeners wherever and whenever they want it."

Rio gonna be "on the streets", sounds awful
Crane
14 years ago
5 days ago
Premium
Not sure if this has been posted on here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27213333

• Friday 30 May, 12:00 BST: England v West Germany, 1966 final

• Saturday 31 May, 15:00 BST: Scotland v Netherlands, 1978 group match

• Wednesday 4 June, 12:00 BST: England v Argentina, 1986 quarter-final

• Saturday 7 June, 15:00 BST: England v Germany, 1990 semi-final

• Sunday 8 June, 15:00 BST: Spain v Northern Ireland , 1982 group match
Tommo.
12 years ago
1 year ago
BR.
17 years ago
2 years ago
7th June at 3, that's a must watch. What a tournament that was.
Shedender
17 years ago
1 month ago
• Sunday 8 June, 15:00 BST: Spain v Northern Ireland , 1982 group match

I'm looking forward to this one.
Slashman X
17 years ago
4 months ago
Premium
Croy
13 years ago
1 week ago

That was a general WC thread.. this one is for 2014 specially
Slashman X
17 years ago
4 months ago
Premium
King Luis
17 years ago
2 months ago
Just saw the Brazil World Cup squad, how has Paulinho managed to get a call up
Sam
17 years ago
1 year ago
No Anderson in the squad, Big Phil has no clue.
Jonas
17 years ago
4 years ago
Premium
No Ronaldinho.
Shola
16 years ago
5 years ago
7th June at 3, that's a must watch. What a tournament that was.

How do you know? you're 20ish aren't you?
Poe
17 years ago
2 days ago
I'm going to be in Mexico for the first few days of this.

Hopefully the atmosphere for the Mexico - Cameroon game will be great.
Jonas
17 years ago
4 years ago
Premium
98 World Cup > *
Based Jorge
10 years ago
4 years ago
First international tournament where I'm over 18.

What a time to be alive.
BR.
17 years ago
2 years ago
How do you know? you're 20ish aren't you?

Yeah 20 but rewatched loads of games/highlights from that tournament, think it's pretty widely accepted that 1990 was a quality World Cup. Not just for England's excellent effort but just in general.

Even the BBC's opening credits/ Nessun Dorma remain iconic.
Vercoe
11 years ago
3 years ago
Even the BBC's opening credits/ Nessun Dorma remain iconic.

itchycoo
15 years ago
1 year ago
Yeah 20 but rewatched loads of games/highlights from that tournament, think it's pretty widely accepted that 1990 was a quality World Cup. Not just for England's excellent effort but just in general.

That doesn't sound like the 1990 I remember. I believe it was regarded as a boring Cup full of foul play and defensive minded teams.

And that Sweden lost their three games 1-2, 1-2, 1-2...
SpinSwimScream
14 years ago
1 day ago
The first tournament I can remember watching all of is Euro 96 which was fantastic, the first World Cup being 98. I was only 1 in 90 and 5 in 94
Slashman X
17 years ago
4 months ago
Premium
Germany Squad:

Goalkeepers: Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich), Roman Weidenfeller (Borussia Dortmund), Ron-Robert Zieler (Hannover)

Defenders: Jerome Boateng (Bayern Munich), Erik Durm (Borussia Dortmund), Kevin Grosskreutz (Borussia Dortmund), Benedikt Howedes (Schalke), Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Marcell Jansen (Hamburg), Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich), Per Mertesacker (Arsenal), Shkodran Mustafi (Sampdoria), Marcel Schmelzer (Borussia Dortmund).

Midfielders: Lars Bender (Borussia Dortmund), Julian Draxler (Schalke), Matthias Ginter (Freiburg), Leon Goretzka (Schalke), Mario Gotze (Bayern Munich), Andre Hahn (Augsburg), Sami Khedira (Real Madrid), Toni Kroos (Bayern Munich), Max Meyer (Schalke), Thomas Muller (Bayern Munich), Mesut Ozil (Arsenal), Lukas Podolski (Arsenal), Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund), Andre Schurrle (Chelsea), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich).

Attackers: Miroslav Klose (Lazio), Kevin Volland (Hoffenheim)
Deano
17 years ago
1 month ago
Mustafi... Well played Moyes.
Telegram Sam
15 years ago
5 months ago
Premium
I hope we some false nine formation from Germany at some point.
Croy
13 years ago
1 week ago
The first tournament I can remember watching all of is Euro 96 which was fantastic, the first World Cup being 98. I was only 1 in 90 and 5 in 94

WC 90 was my first and ofc Euro 92. Most memorable was WC 94 (probably because it was the best display from my national side ever in any tournament... fuckin' Sweden robbed us of a semi final).
bluemoon.
17 years ago
3 months ago
Premium
Just saw the Brazil World Cup squad, how has Paulinho managed to get a call up

To be fair, he's pretty good for Brazil.
Sam
17 years ago
1 year ago
The 1990 World Cup was pretty dire, lots of 1-0s, extra time and penalties, red cards, defensive play. But I also love it because it was my older brother's first WC, so when growing up he often put on the highlights video so it's a nostalgic feeling when I watch it, despite I wasn't alive.

1998 was the first one I had vague memories of, very colourful, and the last great mascot! But WC 2002 was my first full tournament. Going into school to watch England-Brazil in the hall.
Poe
17 years ago
2 days ago
WC 2002 was epic, matches were always on first thing sharp in the morning - went into school watching England-Nigeria on the smallest tv ever. Was great.
Flash.
17 years ago
10 months ago
Premium
All matches at the world cup are between 2am and 8am Australian time.

Fuck that shit. I'm going to have to change my working hours for a month.
Poe
17 years ago
2 days ago
One month long holiday is easiest.

Where do you live in Australia?
itchycoo
15 years ago
1 year ago
WC 90 was my first and ofc Euro 92. Most memorable was WC 94 (probably because it was the best display from my national side ever in any tournament... fuckin' Sweden robbed us of a semi final).

94. Definitively the most memorable tournament, and I copy this: probably because it was the best display from my national side ever in any tournament.... Sorry about the penalties, mate.
Tremendous cup for fuckin' Sweden, finishing 3rd.

Fist WC I remember was Mexico 86.
K3V0
15 years ago
1 year ago
WC 2002 was epic, matches were always on first thing sharp in the morning - went into school watching England-Nigeria on the smallest tv ever. Was great.

2002 was fucking epic!!

All matches at the world cup are between 2am and 8am Australian time.

Fuck that shit. I'm going to have to change my working hours for a month.

It's fucking terrible!!! A month of sleep deprivation awaits.

You'll need to Login to comment