Abbott
17 years ago
8 years ago
Disney buys Star Wars maker Lucasfilm from George Lucas

Disney is buying Lucasfilm, the company behind the Star Wars films, from its chairman and founder George Lucas for $4.05bn (£2.5bn).

Mr Lucas said: "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of film-makers."

In a statement announcing the purchase, Disney said it planned to release a new Star Wars film, episode seven, in 2015.

That will be followed by episodes eight and nine and then one new movie every two or three years, the company said.

The last Star Wars film was 2005's Revenge of the Sith, and Disney said it believed there was "substantial pent-up demand".

Disney will pay about half in cash and half in stock, issuing 40 million Disney shares in the transaction.

"Our valuation of Lucasfilm is roughly comparable to the value we placed on Marvel when we announced that acquisition in 2009," Disney said, adding that the valuation was almost entirely driven by the Star Wars franchise.

The first Star Wars film was released in 1977.

"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," said George Lucas.

"I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime."

Interesting..
Vercoe
11 years ago
3 years ago
So more Star Wars films? Disney love sequels! $$$
Tommo.
12 years ago
1 year ago
Love how Lucas himself said a few years back that another one would never be made by him or anyone else.

Disney also brought Marvel
Deano
17 years ago
2 months ago
for fucks sake.
VP.
13 years ago
1 month ago
There needs to be just one more Star Wars and that should simply link episode 3 and 4 together as there is easily enough for another film thats missing.
tmatthew
17 years ago
5 months ago
I can understand the scepticism of everyone, but I'm interested to see who'll be involved before condemning the idea of a new film completely.
Dutton
17 years ago
2 months ago
Disney bought Marvel and Avengers was bloody awesome. It'll be interesting to see what they do.
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
I wish Lucas hadn't been involved with any of the prequels.
Dutton
17 years ago
2 months ago
Yeah if Lucas was bringing out another Star Wars I really don't think I'd be interested.
tmatthew
17 years ago
5 months ago
Nolan's next project?

I can dream.
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
That fat fucking hack.

Lucas that is, not Nolan.
It's funny that Lucas originally wanted Spike Jonze to direct Episode II and III.
Fantastic
13 years ago
1 month ago
Banned
Urgh, no more Star Wars. If I want to sit through three hours of boring CGI I'll just watch Avatar again.
Jason
17 years ago
2 months ago
By Tommo. | Permalink | On 30 October 2012 - 21:11 PM
Love how Lucas himself said a few years back that another one would never be made by him or anyone else.

I never said such thing.
mr.SPANKY
17 years ago
9 months ago
By Tommo. | Permalink | On 30 October 2012 - 21:11 PM

Money changes people. I wouldn't say no to 4 billion.
On the other hand however he has always said he wanted star wars to be handed down to future generations (I think the first time he said it he wanted his children to run it) and the quotes regarding other star wars movies I believe he said they wouldn't happen while he is alive. He has no choice now that he sold it off.
Abbott
17 years ago
8 years ago
By Dutton | Permalink | On 30 October 2012 - 21:34 PM
Disney bought Marvel and Avengers was bloody awesome. It'll be interesting to see what they do.

Yep exactly. If they can get the right people to oversee it then I'll be excited to see what happens. Plus they surely can't do much worse than the prequels.
Ninja
14 years ago
6 years ago
The fact it means Lucas is no longer near Star Wars can only be a good thing.

Anyway, there's lots of stories left to tell in the Star Wars universe. Lucas, to his credit, created one of the richest fantasy universes ever and despite the fact the prequels sucked there's no reason that when you take his baby away from him and give it to someone who can tell a story it won't be interesting again.
Deleted Account #151676
By Fantastic | Permalink | On 30 October 2012 - 22:45 PM
Urgh, no more Star Wars. If I want to sit through three hours of boring CGI I'll just watch Avatar again.

This
Jamieandhisego
17 years ago
1 year ago
This could be very interesting, if done properly.
Pippadoc
15 years ago
3 years ago
There's so much room to do something original within the Star Wars setting, that it would be good if they moved away from the characters that have been running through the previous films. But if they try and make something that's taking place shortly after Episode VI they'll just be forcing too much from it.

If they make something with fairly little connection to the plot of the other films I think it could be really good. I think people have to look at it as a completely separate film within the same setting, if people compares it to the originals they'll just be disappointed.
Franck
17 years ago
3 weeks ago
An Old Republic film series could be pretty interesting if the right people were in charge, tbh.

There's basically a 99% likelihood of anything new related to the original film-series being absolutely awful though.
Fantastic
13 years ago
1 month ago
Banned
By Franck | Permalink | On 31 October 2012 - 13:34 PM
An Old Republic film series could be pretty interesting if the right people were in charge, tbh.

There's basically a 99% likelihood of anything new related to the original film-series being absolutely awful though.

If they continue the trend of what Lucas has done then yes, they will. He forgot what drew people to the series: the characters. He thinks people care about lightsaber battles and spaceship fights. He's a moron.
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
Lucas has been a moron since around 1981.
Stopped caring about story and character, and decided to focus his energy on creating toys and merchandise.
Franck
17 years ago
3 weeks ago
By The Platypus | Permalink | On 31 October 2012 - 15:03 PM
Lucas has been a moron since around 1981.
Stopped caring about story and character, and decided to focus his energy on creating toys and merchandise.

A very, very wealthy moron, it should be said.
DB
15 years ago
7 years ago
Morons don't create something and then sell it for 4.05 billion dollars.
Fantastic
13 years ago
1 month ago
Banned
If I make $4 billion, but also dress up my wife in cow shit and rape her in the street: yes I am rich, but I am also a moron.
Telegram Sam
15 years ago
22 hours ago
Premium
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
Artistically he's been a moron since around 1981.
As a businessman he's quite savvy.
Franck
17 years ago
3 weeks ago
Isn't he more or less the richest filmmaker in the world at this point? I doubt the list of billionaire filmmakers contains many more names than him and Spielberg.
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
James Cameron maybe.
Franck
17 years ago
3 weeks ago
Cameron is apparently worth about $700M.

I guess he might become a billionaire if the Avatar sequels pan out.

You'll need to Login to comment