Uncle Sam
17 years ago
10 months ago
First of all I'm not starting this thread because I think I'm a tactical genius. I do pretty well in this area I think, but some of you reading this will probably be better than me. I really just wanted to get some back-and-forth discussion going, exchange ideas, that sort of thing. I'll probably post my tactics setup that I'm currently using, that sort of thing.

Tactics Creator only, no classic tactics: I know this isn't the case for everyone, but most people I see who post classic tactics are either trying to break the match engine or they've created a tactic for a specific club or level and as soon as the game re-adjusts the club reputations the tactic falls apart. If you want to start a discussion about classic tactics, then go ahead. I would just rather keep this discussion to tactics creator discussion.
Uncle Sam
17 years ago
10 months ago
*My 4-2-3-1

So this is the setup I'm currently using. It's a 4-2-3-1.

Roles and Duties

GK - Sweeper Keeper

DR - Wingback - Attack
DCR - Center Defender - Defend
DCL - Center Defender - Defend
DL - Wingback - Attack

MCR - Deep Lying Playmaker - Support
MCL - Central Midfielder - Defend
AMC - Advanced Playmaker - Support

AMR - Inside Forward - Attack
AML - Inside Forward - Attack

FC - Advanced Forward Attack

Team Instructions

STYLE: Balanced
-This setting had the mentality settings I want to get the midfielders positioned properly and also to get the fullbacks up the pitch to provide width in attack.

STRATEGY: Counter
-Although I change this depending on how the AI is playing against me. I usually start in Defend, actually, but I haven't gone deep into a game.

PASSING STYLE: Shorter

CREATIVE FREEDOM: More expressive

CLOSING DOWN: Press More

TACKLING: Default

MARKING: Zonal Marking
-This will actually be altered by the shouts.

CROSSING: Float Crosses
-Only because crosses to the far post seem to be more effective this year. I may change it.

ROAMING: More Roaming
-I like my players to have freedom to explore the space. It helps to unbalance and unlock the defense in my opinion

Shouts

DEFENSIVE LINE: Push Higher Up
ATTACKING: Play Through Defense
SHOOTING: Work Ball into Box
POSSESSION: Retain Possession
PRESSING: Hassle Opponents

So that's the system I'm currently running. It's meant to be an aggressive, attacking formation built around possession football. The wingbacks go marauding forward, while the two central midfielders act as holding mids. The AMR and AML operate as inside forwards as to clear space out wide for the wingbacks. So far so good with Knoxville Force in the NPSL, the 5th level in the USA (it's an edited database). I went 11-0-1 (I lost a 1-0 game that I outpossessed the opponent with 74% and outshot them 23-1, giving up an own goal) during the regular season and am currently in the championship game.
Biggsy32
11 years ago
10 years ago
By Uncle Sam | Permalink | On 14 November 2012 - 02:08 AM
STRATEGY: Counter
-Although I change this depending on how the AI is playing against me. I usually start in Defend, actually, but I haven't gone deep into a game.

PASSING STYLE: Shorter

CREATIVE FREEDOM: More expressive

CLOSING DOWN: Press More

TACKLING: Default

MARKING: Zonal Marking
-This will actually be altered by the shouts.

CROSSING: Float Crosses
-Only because crosses to the far post seem to be more effective this year. I may change it.

ROAMING: More Roaming
-I like my players to have freedom to explore the space. It helps to unbalance and unlock the defense in my opinion

I think it's interesting to define short passing on a counter attacking startegy, because if you are aiming to counter you are looking for a very high tempo attack, with a nicely placed through or long ball to get to the forward thinking players. However, as i've never tried it with short passing on FM i can't say it won't work, it just stood out to me.

The other one is floated crosses, I always set mine to default unless i am a club like barcelona (where no forward is tall). As drilled crosses still work extremely well for creating tap-ins, so I like to keep their usage up. But i guess if your striker is peter crouch & amc is zigic it'd make sense to me.

Also, can i ask how best to deploy an AMC? Because whenever I use them, no matter how talented the player, they seem to have absolutely no impact on the game. Which is why i always use an Anchor Man now, so my wingbacks can go charging up all day long.

Just some thoughts.
Biggsy
Hibee
17 years ago
3 years ago
What would you say is the main reason you start with a 'Defensive' or 'Counter' mentality US? Is it just damage limitation till you've seen what the other side can throw at you?

I usually choose between one of 'Counter' or 'Control' depending on who I'm facing and use either 'Defensive' or 'Attacking' depending on how the match is going.
Jantje7
11 years ago
5 months ago
Hi, i'm currently playing with a 4-4-2 attacking tactic. This works fine for teams who are placed higher in the competition table. I win the most of the games when i play against teams which are placed from 1-10 in the table. But lower teams, and i mean how lower they are placed how harder it is for me to when and i always lose with much goals against the lowest clubs, which are placed 20-24. How is this possible and what tactic should i try? Actually i already tried many thing from playing more attacking till playing more defensive. Can someone give me some tips please?
Franck
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
Started a save with Celtic the other day and after 10 league games I'm 6-3-1 and have beaten both PSG (1-0) and Milan (4-0) in the Champions League just using the default 4-4-2 with no changes of any kind. I'm quite surprised at how well it's been playing, normally you'd be well fucked if you tried to play with an unmodified default tactic.

You'll need to Login to comment