Ipswich Knights
9 years ago
4 years ago
Wow just wow what a movie
terriersmad
16 years ago
3 years ago
Wouldn't go that far. It was very good, but I'd want to see it again before declaring it in those terms! Very frantic, lots going on, a little overwhelming, perhaps, with its pacing. Certainly a worthy Star Wars movie, though.
Ipswich Knights
9 years ago
4 years ago
so good man makes those shit prequels to shame jj abrams is a god thank oyu mate
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
Ipswich Knights
9 years ago
4 years ago
I know ay haha.
K3V0
15 years ago
1 year ago
Seen it tonight and thought it was pretty good.

Like a 7/10
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago

Like a 7/10

Wrong.

Next.
Sam
17 years ago
1 year ago
I saw it on Friday, absolutely loved it.
Ipswich Knights
9 years ago
4 years ago

Like a 7/10

I rate this comment 1/10
Ninja
14 years ago
6 years ago
Eh it was alright.

I really wanted to love it, and thought after the first 20 minutes to half an hour that I would, but thats about as good as it gets. What follows is basically a re-telling of Episode IV, but 'bigger and better'. Apparently the actual dialogue 'its like the Death Star BUT BIGGER' wasn't the klaxon call for the writers that we'd been there before and done it already.

Apart from that it was incredibly rushed, overlong, had a disappointing score (surprisingly), and relied too heavily on people having a warm fuzzy sense of nostalgia to carry it.

For the most part its good, and the new characters are strong, but its getting incredibly leniency because its a new Star Wars film and its not complete garbage. Oh, and Harrison Ford was great.
mr.SPANKY
17 years ago
8 months ago
I agree Ninja, I love Star Wars and this was good right up until the retelling of A New Hope sans the thing that happened (which I won't spoil in case) that was supposed to happen in A New Hope.
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
I agree Ninja, I love Star Wars and this was good right up until the retelling of A New Hope sans the thing that happened (which I won't spoil in case) that was supposed to happen in A New Hope.

That wasn't supposed to happen in A New Hope.

As a huge fan of the original trilogy, I thought it was absolutely incredible. Fun, well written, with a lot of interesting new characters, brilliant action, and the best lightsaber fight since the 80's. Also, it sets up the new movie well. All in all, more than I could've hoped for.
mr.SPANKY
17 years ago
8 months ago

Apologies was meant to be in Return.
Ninja
14 years ago
6 years ago

As a huge fan of the original trilogy, I thought it was absolutely incredible. Fun, well written, with a lot of interesting new characters, brilliant action, and the best lightsaber fight since the 80's. Also, it sets up the new movie well. All in all, more than I could've hoped for.

Each to their own, but when you say it was more than you hoped for do you mean because you thought it was objectively great or because you expected it to be shit and it wasn't?

Caus thats where I'm let down by it I think, it was a perfectly ok Star Wars film and I'm more than willing to forgive a lot of the silly parts that are being criticised by others because its Star Wars and its always had the silly parts. But I just can't shake the fact that if not for the returning characters, the sense of nostalgia, and for the fact the prequels were worse it would be universally panned as an inferior copy of the original.
Ipswich Knights
9 years ago
4 years ago
It made me Jizz all over hehehehehe
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
I expected it to be great, a return to form, and I felt it fully delivered. Not only that. I personally enjoy it more than I ever did A New Hope.

mr.SPANKY
17 years ago
8 months ago
I guess I am just a sucker for the original trilogy, it was a good movie, one I will watch over and over like the others but I felt it just retold A New Hope way too much.
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
A New Hope is basically just following the Hero's Journey formula beat by beat. Its not a particularly unique story, in that way. Its about the Universe and the characters, both of which, force awakens delivers.
Ninja
14 years ago
6 years ago
Well no, its not, but still. It's the first instalment of Star Wars and its plot is very closely followed in this to the point where it feels like a copy. I don't mind some bits, as a homage to the first films, but when almost everything has already been done before it feels like a missed opportunity.

I think it was especially disappointing because I thought this film was at its best when it wasn't re-treading old ground and there were some genuinely good moments, but because of the conscious decision to do Episode IV again we missed out on that.

I dunno, I feel like there's a lot of interesting stuff they've built and I'm hopeful that the trilogy as a whole will be good, but I was disappointed in the way they went about telling this part of the story and as a result made a film that on its own merits was a let down. I'm hopeful that now we've got the return out of the way we can get on with having some films that stand up on their own merit rather than just because they've wheeled out some old characters.
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
I felt everything in Force Awakens had more emotional resonance than 4, because of the films that came before it. Simply on that ground, i feel it differentiates itself enough.
Vercoe
11 years ago
3 years ago
I saw it today and thought it was awesome. The only movie I've seen in a cinema (I haven't seen many to be fair) that I'd definitely go back and watch again and, even though I'm far too young to have seen the originals, I still got all fan boy-ish at the reveal at the end and especially with the music at the start with the scrolling writing.
Verrrona
8 years ago
1 year ago
Ok right so I saw this film last night because my other half is well into it. Went to a American style diner beforehand and had a couple of drinks before and during the film. Went home and fell asleep at 11. La vida loca.

But anyway this film. I'm not really Star Wars fan. I've seen bits of them when they've been on the telly and I've seen this Phantom Menace which I thought was cool before I was young and the third one which I don't even remember the name of but I fell asleep. This one was alright, but there are quite a few things that have been bugging me.

First of all, this Rey character. My understanding of the force is it's a thing only some people have right? But then you have to get trained in order to use it properly. The first two were trained by Obi Wan and the baddie in this was trained by Luke. Luke didn't just wake up one day and start using the force all over the gaff. In this film, Rey finds out she has the force and then later the same day she's good enough to go toe to toe with a big bad force user who was trained by the best force person in history. No history in using the force. Or a light saber for that matter. But end the film with her just about to kill the guy who offed Han Solo a few minutes ago. Speaking of Han Solo, she knows how to fly the Millennium Falcon like a boss without having any proper flying experience. She just starts cutting about like a madman doing all these fancy maneuvers. Then she just sort of knows there's a gas leak and they're going to die. But then she also knows exactly how to fix that. Even though she's just some nobody scavenger on a desert planet who was struggling for food and water at the start of the movie.

I know this is nit picky but the whole thing about Star Wars is that it's not just one movie right? They want you to buy into this whole universe. So what are they just going to cheapen the rest of the franchise by making this one character who's so perfect at everything with just a few seconds of practice that she makes all the other characters look like mugs?

The other thing that bothered me was the sheer amount of fan service doled out by Harrison Ford who seemed to be playing Indiana Jones in this film. You couldn't go 5 minutes without him making some wry reference to the previous films. Again, it's nit picky but as someone who's not invested in the franchise it just made me go "what? Why's he saying it like that?" At one point I swear he looked at the camera as he was saying one.

I liked Finn and Poe though. I also liked they way they used all the old characters except for Han.

I mean it was worth the price of admission and I wouldn't mind watching it again on TV or whatever but as a film I don't think it was mind blowing. I get why people like it so much, it's obviously got this massive cult following and it was a pretty good movie. But that's it really.
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
Harrison Ford was absolutely perfect as Han. If anyone fucked up it was Carrie Fisher, who was nothing like Leia.
Vercoe
11 years ago
3 years ago
Harrison Ford was absolutely perfect as Han. If anyone fucked up it was Carrie Fisher, who was nothing like Leia.

Oh god, so much!

She was just like a grandma, rather than the feisty bad ass she was in episodes 4,5 and 6.
Ipswich Knights
9 years ago
4 years ago
yeah agreed she was useless. chewbacca was peferctr
Verrrona
8 years ago
1 year ago
Well she didn't really get much screen time. I imagine she's going to be more involved later in the series. Out of interest, if you didn't like how she was portrayed, how would you have done it?

I'm not saying I thought Fords performance was bad, but I don't think the writing for Han was as good as it could've been. It felt like they used him to pander to the audience a bit too much. I said this to the person I went with too though and they said I was wrong so maybe that's how he's meant to be.

But with Rey...
The example that stick in my head the most was when she was captured and she just does a jedi mind trick to get released. But she doesn't even know she can use the force at this point. Kylo Ren tries to read her mind and can't so she goes "WELL I GUESS THAT MEANS I'M A JEDI" and she tries a mind trick. How would she even know what a jedi mind trick is? I assume you'd need some kind of training or something first or at least to practice it a bit? Maybe I'm misunderstanding how the force works but in this film she was a complete Mary Sue and it kind of ruined the film for me.

I still enjoyed it though, the lightsaber battles and action scenes were pretty choice. If I had to change anything about the ending, I would've had the baddie be about to kill Rey rather than the other way around at the end. Putting up a fight against him would've been impressive enough to make her look strong but winning the fight seems a bit weird.
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
Well she didn't really get much screen time. I imagine she's going to be more involved later in the series. Out of interest, if you didn't like how she was portrayed, how would you have done it?

I'm not saying I thought Fords performance was bad, but I don't think the writing for Han was as good as it could've been. It felt like they used him to pander to the audience a bit too much. I said this to the person I went with too though and they said I was wrong so maybe that's how he's meant to be.

But with Rey...
The example that stick in my head the most was when she was captured and she just does a jedi mind trick to get released. But she doesn't even know she can use the force at this point. Kylo Ren tries to read her mind and can't so she goes "WELL I GUESS THAT MEANS I'M A JEDI" and she tries a mind trick. How would she even know what a jedi mind trick is? I assume you'd need some kind of training or something first or at least to practice it a bit? Maybe I'm misunderstanding how the force works but in this film she was a complete Mary Sue and it kind of ruined the film for me.

I still enjoyed it though, the lightsaber battles and action scenes were pretty choice. If I had to change anything about the ending, I would've had the baddie be about to kill Rey rather than the other way around at the end. Putting up a fight against him would've been impressive enough to make her look strong but winning the fight seems a bit weird.

It's not as much the way she was portrayed, as it was Carrie Fisher's performance. Wooden and stilted. A lot of her scenes were apparently cut out, so I guess the filmmakers felt the same as me.

I don't have a problem with Rey being awesome at everything, since she's clearly Luke's daughter.
Ipswich Knights
9 years ago
4 years ago
yeah i know what you mean how does she know how to do all that stuff with the force.
Ninja
14 years ago
6 years ago

But with Rey...

I've seen this criticism a lot round the internet and think its ridiculously unfair. And this is from someone who has problems with the film.

Firstly, we don't really know anything about Rey at all. From the first films we know that force sensitive people get training from a really young age, younger than when she was abandoned on Jakku. In TPM Qui-Jon and Obi-Wan have a conversation about how Anakin may be too old at 9 years old.

One of the most popular theories is that Rey is herself a Skywalker, and theres certain similarities between the plot to this film and the KOTOR games which feature a force user who's had their mind wiped, both could explain whats either tremendous natural talent, or ingrained teaching. Perhaps a combination of the two, either way, until we know what the explanation for Rey's ability is then we don't know if its a plot problem or not.

As for Ren, I think he's just being ridiculously over-rated in terms of his power. He's the only force user other than Luke knocking around the Galaxy, so he's almost certainly not fought a lightsaber battle before in his life, was quite clearly injured, was very raw himself -as per Snokes comments about him needing further training- was emotionally unstable and is certainly not big or bad yet. Just a moody angsty teenager with potential. The biggest problem I have is that Finn was able to go toe to toe with him, but perhaps that was actually meant as a demonstration of how weak Ren was, rather than how strong Finn is?
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
I've seen this criticism a lot round the internet and think its ridiculously unfair. And this is from someone who has problems with the film.

Firstly, we don't really know anything about Rey at all. From the first films we know that force sensitive people get training from a really young age, younger than when she was abandoned on Jakku. In TPM Qui-Jon and Obi-Wan have a conversation about how Anakin may be too old at 9 years old.

One of the most popular theories is that Rey is herself a Skywalker, and theres certain similarities between the plot to this film and the KOTOR games which feature a force user who's had their mind wiped, both could explain whats either tremendous natural talent, or ingrained teaching. Perhaps a combination of the two, either way, until we know what the explanation for Rey's ability is then we don't know if its a plot problem or not.

As for Ren, I think he's just being ridiculously over-rated in terms of his power. He's the only force user other than Luke knocking around the Galaxy, so he's almost certainly not fought a lightsaber battle before in his life, was quite clearly injured, was very raw himself -as per Snokes comments about him needing further training- was emotionally unstable and is certainly not big or bad yet. Just a moody angsty teenager with potential. The biggest problem I have is that Finn was able to go toe to toe with him, but perhaps that was actually meant as a demonstration of how weak Ren was, rather than how strong Finn is?

Finn didn't actually go toe to toe with him. He got a few shots in on an injured Ren, but Ren pretty much fucked him up when he felt enough was enough.

You'll need to Login to comment