Mr Willy
16 years ago
6 years ago
I've been on Jobseekers since the beginning of November and on Tuesday, I'll be getting paid my second payment (week one (£56) + additional two weeks (£112)). However, I've just had an interview invitation for a job at my local village shop. The thing is, the job is only 5 hours a week on minimum wage, adding up to nearly £25 a week (JSA is £56 a week), given that minimum wage for 18-21 is £4.98/hour.

Am I allowed to continue claiming JSA to supplement my weekly income up to £56 - ie, £31 - or do I have to come off benefits completely? It'll be a pain to have such a huge reduction in my weekly income given that I pay £10 a week 'rent', £10 a week for university payments (residency deposit) and at least £5 on food and drink. The only real advantage of this job, over than retail experience, is that I'll be working in my village so I won't have to pay money to the bastards who run our public transport system.

I'm also worried that if I turn the job down, I'll lose my benefits anyway. Or does a 'job offer' have to be 16 hours a week?
Telegram Sam
15 years ago
5 months ago
Premium
Surely you could ask someone at the job centre?
Mr Willy
16 years ago
6 years ago
The interview's tomorrow and it's a Sunday. So, basically no.
Flash.
17 years ago
10 months ago
Premium
You can continue to claim JSA if you work under 16 hours/3 days per week.

It will be adjusted depending on your part time wages.
Mr Willy
16 years ago
6 years ago
Rick87
14 years ago
5 days ago
You can keep the first £10 of your wages, The rest is deducted from your JSA.
Mr Willy
16 years ago
6 years ago
The problem for me is that I'm on Youth Contract which is a bit different - basically geared to more vocational sort of jobs, which is wholly inappropriate for me given that I'm going to uni in September. And everything has just been reformed, so a lot of the info online is out-of-date.
Phoenix Arrow
15 years ago
1 year ago
You should be able to continue claiming, yes but they might expect you to continue looking for another job while you do.
Next time you go to sign on, just have a chat about it and it'll be ok. You'll just have to sign a new contract with the Job Centre basically.
Mr Willy
16 years ago
6 years ago
Cheers. The problem with JSA is that there is so much contradictory information out there, and the online benefits adviser doesn't work properly as you can't give enough information. It looks that I'll be able to work under 16 hours a week and my income will be topped-up to £56 a week, so there's still the incentive to find a job.
Justicar
17 years ago
5 months ago
Premium
Never been on jobseekers. But took the first pt job I could (Woolworths) when I was 16. Everyone I know that has done the same always walks into jobs when they need them.
Mr Willy
16 years ago
6 years ago
I can't really do that because I'm 18 and I have no retail experience, which is expected. They know that while I'd be more competent than a 16-year-old, they'd need to pay me more money and I'd probably demand more hours.
Justicar
17 years ago
5 months ago
Premium
By Mr Willy | Permalink | On 25 November 2012 - 17:40 PM
I can't really do that because I'm 18 and I have no retail experience, which is expected. They know that while I'd be more competent than a 16-year-old, they'd need to pay me more money and I'd probably demand more hours.

I can believe clothing retail not taking you on but I can't believe that a supermarket won't. Some real special chaps work in supermarkets.
Telegram Sam
15 years ago
5 months ago
Premium
The Sainsburys in Brighton seems like a foster home for people who couldn't even join the circus. Some odd people stocking shelves in there.
Phoenix Arrow
15 years ago
1 year ago
By Telegram Sam | Permalink | On 25 November 2012 - 18:06 PM
The Sainsburys in Brighton seems like a foster home for people who couldn't even join the circus. Some odd people stocking shelves in there.

The one in Winch is like that too. Apparently they do it on purpose for some reason.
Boone
17 years ago
8 years ago
I did the same as you in the period between my Undergraduate and Masters degree, claiming JSA inbetween as I was entitled to. Basically as has been said so long as your on under 16hours per week you can still claim JSA.

Although if you are actually looking for a part time job or whatever, coming up to christmas pretty much every restuarant/hotel/bar going are looking for staff to work a few days a week but on very long hours. I got a job working at a restaurant serving tables and behind their bar and would surpass 30hours a week working 3 days a week, would get close to £200 a week and have the weekdays to lark about.
Rick87
14 years ago
5 days ago
By Phoenix Arrow | Permalink | On 25 November 2012 - 18:24 PM
The one in Winch is like that too. Apparently they do it on purpose for some reason.

Not sure if they still do but the Job Center used to pay businesses to take on those who were otherwise unemployable.
Mr Willy
16 years ago
6 years ago
Aye, the 'Youth Contract' scheme puts 'neet' under-25s into employment and gives incentives to businesses, usually small local places like bars, hotels and restaurants, but occasionally larger chains join as well. Suppose it's better than Workfare, where the claimant won't really 'value' their experience and will still be a burden on the state's finances.
Jason
17 years ago
1 month ago
Surely, you'd be better off staying on JSA until a "proper" job comes along. Either do 3 days work, and get £56, or do 0 days work and get £56. No brainer really.

Get a full time job, then come off JSA fully.
Slashman X
17 years ago
4 months ago
Premium
0 days work = Boring as fuck
Nexus
16 years ago
1 month ago
Premium
By Jay. | Permalink | On 27 November 2012 - 17:04 PM
Surely, you'd be better off staying on JSA until a "proper" job comes along. Either do 3 days work, and get £56, or do 0 days work and get £56. No brainer really.

What, and get zero experience? Don't be so fucking stupid.

Employers will look more favourably on someone who has been working 3 days work and claiming JSA compared to some lazy cunt who's sat on the JSA doing 0 hours work.
Phoenix Arrow
15 years ago
1 year ago
By Jay. | Permalink | On 27 November 2012 - 17:04 PM

That's the most retarded thing you've said since you said that PCs were going to die out in the next 5 years.
Telegram Sam
15 years ago
5 months ago
Premium
BLOODY IMMIGRUNTZ
Jason
17 years ago
1 month ago
By Phoenix Arrow | Permalink | On 27 November 2012 - 18:41 PM
That's the most retarded thing you've said since you said that PCs were going to die out in the next 5 years.

But its true. Even if you get a part time job for 16 hours, you'll still have to sign on, meaning its gonna clash with your job if you work on that day, and still your only getting the same amount of money.
Jason
17 years ago
1 month ago
By Nexus | Permalink | On 27 November 2012 - 18:39 PM
What, and get zero experience? Don't be so fucking stupid.

Employers will look more favourably on someone who has been working 3 days work and claiming JSA compared to some lazy cunt who's sat on the JSA doing 0 hours work.

Oh sorry, i'll do 16 hours a week for £56, the same amount as millions of people are getting, on JSA, oh and i have to sign on too, just for a bit of experience. Personally, if i was on JSA, i wouldn't be even considering part time work, if somebody will take you on part time without experience, there will be plenty that will full time, too.

£56 a week on or not on JSA is fuck all, and if you live on your own, will pay fuck all, the average household spends £30 a week on food, leaving £36 out of £56.

I mean, i live on my own, and i struggle on a wage of £240 per week, i think i'd die in the first week of living on £56p/w.
Slashman X
17 years ago
4 months ago
Premium
By Jay. | Permalink | On 28 November 2012 - 15:54 PM
Oh sorry, i'll do 16 hours a week for £56, the same amount as millions of people are getting, on JSA, oh and i have to sign on too, just for a bit of experience. Personally, if i was on JSA, i wouldn't be even considering part time work, if somebody will take you on part time without experience, there will be plenty that will full time, too.

£56 a week on or not on JSA is fuck all, and if you live on your own, will pay fuck all, the average household spends £30 a week on food, leaving £36 out of £56.

I mean, i live on my own, and i struggle on a wage of £240 per week, i think i'd die in the first week of living on £56p/w.

MATHS!

Your points are also stupid
Jason
17 years ago
1 month ago
By Slashman X | Permalink | On 28 November 2012 - 15:58 PM
MATHS!

Your points are also stupid

Was a typo, obviously it was supposed to say £26.
Hibee
17 years ago
3 years ago
No harm in him taking the job and keeping an eye out for something better. Anything is better on a CV than just sitting at home collecting your JSA.
Phoenix Arrow
15 years ago
1 year ago
By Jay. | Permalink | On 28 November 2012 - 15:52 PM
But its true. Even if you get a part time job for 16 hours, you'll still have to sign on, meaning its gonna clash with your job if you work on that day, and still your only getting the same amount of money.

If you really don't understand how doing a part time job is better than just signing on then you have problems which I can't help you with.
Jason
17 years ago
1 month ago
By Phoenix Arrow | Permalink | On 28 November 2012 - 18:40 PM
If you really don't understand how doing a part time job is better than just signing on then you have problems which I can't help you with.

Im not saying i don't understand, im just saying its pretty pointless, from a life perspective. Doing 16 hours a week ffor the same £56 as doing nothing for a week, doesn't seem appealing, i'd much rather try and push for a permanent job which gives me £200 + per week.
Phoenix Arrow
15 years ago
1 year ago
By Jay. | Permalink | On 28 November 2012 - 19:36 PM
Im not saying i don't understand, im just saying its pretty pointless, from a life perspective. Doing 16 hours a week ffor the same £56 as doing nothing for a week, doesn't seem appealing, i'd much rather try and push for a permanent job which gives me £200 + per week.

Then you make very bad decisions.

You'll need to Login to comment