Grimnir
16 years ago
3 months ago
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmrInQlXgAEjnJg.jpg

I know this doesn't usually warrant its own thread, but given the format shake up and the surrounding controversy I thought it might be worth it.

The group stage has been drawn, one of the changes, with teams from Leagues 1 and 2 being drawn in groups alongside Premier League and Championship U-21 sides.

Northern Group A:
Everton
Bolton Wanderers
Cheltenham Town
Blackpool

Northern Group B:
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Chesterfield
Crewe Alexandra
Accrington Stanley

Northern Group C:
Stoke City
Bradford City
Morecambe
Bury

Northern Group D:
Blackburn Rovers
Fleetwood Town
Carlisle United
Oldham Athletic

Northern Group E:
Derby County
Port Vale
Doncaster Rovers
Mansfield Town

Northern Group F:
Sunderland
Rochdale
Hartlepool United
Notts County

Northern Group G:
Middlesbrough
Scunthorpe United
Cambridge United
Shrewsbury Town

Northern Group H:
Leicester City
Sheffield United
Grimsby Town
Walsall

Southern Group A:
Reading
Bristol Rovers
Portsmouth
Yeovil Town

Southern Group B:
Swansea City
AFC Wimbledon
Newport County
Plymouth Argyle

Southern Group C:
Chelsea
Swindon Town
Exeter City
Oxford United

Southern Group D:
West Ham United
Coventry City
Wycombe Wanderers
Northampton Town

Southern Group E:
Southampton
Charlton Athletic
Colchester United
Crawley Town

Southern Group F:
Norwich City
Peterborough United
Barnet
Milton Keynes Dons

Southern Group G:
Brighton & Hove Albion
Southend United
Stevenage
Leyton Orient

Southern Group H:
West Bromwich Albion
Millwall
Luton Town
Gillingham

Crowds are usually small for the fixtures in this competition, even relative to their clubs. Surely a match against an U-21 side is not going to make the fixtures any more appealing? They are certainly not going to bring a big following, would be surprised if there were more than 100 away fans following their U-21 side anywhere. Also, imagine an U-21 side reaching the final, or worse two of them making it. Everton U-21s versus Chelsea U-21s in the EFL Trophy final, what a farce. I almost hope it happens so the organisers really how much they have destroyed an already ailing competition.
gfnx25
12 years ago
6 years ago
Playing Stoke B away on a cold and wet Tuesday night in fucking November. This is actual AIDS

Also drawn alongside Massif Bradfut and Morecambe.
Shedender
17 years ago
1 month ago
I'm glad Newcastle U21's rejected a chance to participate, it should be for League 1/League 2 clubs only as per the norm.
Vercoe
11 years ago
3 years ago
I'll be boycotting every EFL (spit) trophy game during this "trial". I'm absolutely certain that the Football League want to use it as justification for adding B-Teams into the league structure. Also ridiculous how they jumped this on the clubs at the latest AGM last minute AND THEN changed rules and criteria since, meaning this isn't even the same competition technically that clubs voted yes to trial!

Edit: I also find it amusing that it's the English Football League trophy and yet we're playing Newport and Swansea U23s (I know that isn't their clubs' faults).
Grimnir
16 years ago
3 months ago
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36953689

(Sorry for mobile link, but I'm on my phone!)

This is good to see. I hope more clubs plan similar to demonstrate to the efl what a joke they have made of this competition. I would say it'd be the same at Bloomfield, but the only people in the stadium will be scabs anyway.
Number 1
16 years ago
10 months ago
I missed that. Could be a good idea - support the club financially but tell the competition itself to piss off.

You'll need to Login to comment