VP.
13 years ago
1 week ago
The rumours were true, worst idea ever ffs.

Football's 2020 European Championship tournament will be held in a number of cities across the continent, Uefa has announced.
It means there will be no one country hosting the tournament.
The Football Association has already put forward Wembley to European governing body Uefa as a possible venue for the final.
Uefa's executive committee took the decision at a meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland, on Thursday.
Wales, Scotland and the Republic of Ireland have also expressed their interest to Uefa in staging matches.
Uefa general secretary Gianni Infantino told a press conference after the meeting: "Some important decisions have been taken.
"Uefa Euro 2020 will be staged across the continent, in various major cities, following a decision taken today. A Euro for Europe follows an initial idea by Uefa president Michel Platini.
"The response has been extremely positive from all the national associations."
He added the bidding process for the host cities would start in March and decisions would be made in the spring of 2014.
KEZ_7
17 years ago
23 hours ago
Oh dear god. I can't stand Platini
chokosc
14 years ago
5 days ago
Probably will be scrapped soon or just after the Euros.
RhylFCKiko
12 years ago
1 month ago
If it goes ahead, and I mean, goes ahead. Will the countries with host cities gain qualification automatically? If so, i'd back any Welsh bid as it's the only way we'd get there
Pippadoc
15 years ago
3 years ago
By RhylFCKiko | Permalink | On 06 December 2012 - 17:05 PM
If it goes ahead, and I mean, goes ahead. Will the countries with host cities gain qualification automatically? If so, i'd back any Welsh bid as it's the only way we'd get there

I hope (and assume) not, otherwise there could be quite a few nations qualifying automatically.

I'd have thought Wales could end up having a chance of qualifying for the Euro's since there increasing the number of teams participating to 24. Depending on the qualifying group I'd have thought you'd have a chance.
Jonas
17 years ago
4 years ago
Premium
Fuck is this shit?
Telegram Sam
15 years ago
5 months ago
Premium
RhylFCKiko
12 years ago
1 month ago
By Pippadoc | Permalink | On 06 December 2012 - 17:11 PM
I hope (and assume) not, otherwise there could be quite a few nations qualifying automatically.

I'd have thought Wales could end up having a chance of qualifying for the Euro's since there increasing the number of teams participating to 24. Depending on the qualifying group I'd have thought you'd have a chance.

Even with the expansion the number of nations that are developing would easily qualify over Wales, I know it's still 8 years off but there isn't any stability with Wales right now, under Speed was our best hope of ever qualifying for a tournament, and since he passed on. We haven't come close to looking like the side Speed developed, and I don't think we ever will. Coleman isn't a man to develop players or a team and he hasn't found a way to threaten teams like Speed could. Like I said this tournament is 8 years off and things will change, but if we continue down the road we're going on, I think we'll be back to the laughing stock we were towards the end of the 2000's
Mr Willy
16 years ago
6 years ago
It'd be shit if loads of countries got automatic qualification to this. The point of having a qualifications process is to ensure the big teams don't expect a place in the tournament - for example, England in 2008.
bluemoon.
17 years ago
2 months ago
Premium
By A Little Bit Of Merson Magic | Permalink | On 06 December 2012 - 16:50 PM
The rumours were true, worst idea ever ffs.

Nah, it's a poor decision but this is isn't even the worst decision about the Euros this year.

By Mr Willy | Permalink | On 06 December 2012 - 17:19 PM
It'd be shit if loads of countries got automatic qualification to this. The point of having a qualifications process is to ensure the big teams don't expect a place in the tournament - for example, England in 2008.

They've already said that won't happen.
Rick87
14 years ago
5 days ago
Fuck off Blatter.

What about those who want to follow their team throughout the tournament, Imagine the logistics of travel.
Slashman X
17 years ago
4 months ago
Premium
There won't be automatic qualifications. That's the reason the stopped 'joint' bids for the World Cup (I think), cos 2 countries automatically qualifying was too much.

While this idea would probably be good from an economic sense (the income spread to all countries), it will just ruin the whole tournament atmosphere that you get when you have loads of nationalities in one area.
Slashman X
17 years ago
4 months ago
Premium
By Rick87 | Permalink | On 06 December 2012 - 17:22 PM
Fuck off Blatter.

What about those who want to follow their team throughout the tournament, Imagine the logistics of travel.

Group games would all be in the same 'region'
Rick87
14 years ago
5 days ago
Just scrap the Euro's and have a European league of nations over two years, Two or three divisions. That way every country would benefit.
Fantastic
13 years ago
1 week ago
It gives countries who would never have a chance to host a European tournament fixture an opportunity to showcase what they have to offer. Imagine one night being in the intimidating Atatürk, the next night in Tbilisi in the Dinamo Arena, Bucharest, Belgrade, Yereven, Glasgow, Dublin etc.

Framed correctly it could be a brilliant celebration of the best of rarely trodden Europe. Of course the reality is that it may well just be a casual perusal through the most well known names in European stadiums. But I'm not going to write it off just because it breaks tradition, I think it's an interesting idea if done well. It's nowhere near as bad as Blatter trying to get the 2022 World Cup played in the winter.
Franck
17 years ago
3 days ago
Like I said when this was discussed previously, this doesn't have to be a bad idea at all, everything just depends on how UEFA choose to organise it. If they do everything right this could end up being a glorious, continent-wide celebration of European football.
Fantastic
13 years ago
1 week ago
By Franck | Permalink | On 06 December 2012 - 18:18 PM
Like I said when this was discussed previously, this doesn't have to be a bad idea at all, everything just depends on how UEFA choose to organise it. If they do everything right this could end up being a glorious, continent-wide celebration of European football.

Shut up Franck, this is the worst idea ever, haven't you heard?
Phoenix Arrow
15 years ago
1 year ago
What I'd like to see is like regional mini-tournaments and then like the final stages somewhere else. It would mean that more people could see the games, less empty seats for the less fashionable games and, if you wanted to host the final tournament, you could get away with just having 4 stadia.
I really don't see how this is a bad idea at all.
Hibee
17 years ago
3 years ago
By Rick87 | Permalink | On 06 December 2012 - 17:22 PM
Fuck off Blatter.

I wonder how many folk actually bother to do that? Pretty much everybody I know that's been to Euros/World Cups was based in one city for the tournament. I'd also imagine traveling between the 2020 cities will be a bit easier than trekking though Poland and Ukraine, I mean, I'd be up for games in Paris, London, Amsterdam and Berlin one after the other.

We'll have had the same sort of tournament for 90 years when Euro 2020 comes around, I don't see the harm in them trying something new.
Slashman X
17 years ago
4 months ago
Premium
By Hibee | Permalink | On 06 December 2012 - 19:07 PM
I wonder how many folk actually bother to do that? Pretty much everybody I know that's been to Euros/World Cups was based in one city for the tournament. I'd also imagine traveling between the 2020 cities will be a bit easier than trekking though Poland and Ukraine, I mean, I'd be up for games in Paris, London, Amsterdam and Berlin one after the other.

We'll have had the same sort of tournament for 90 years when Euro 2020 comes around, I don't see the harm in them trying something new.

That is literally the opposite of what should happen
Hibee
17 years ago
3 years ago
And even then it wouldn't be too bad.
AFC
16 years ago
8 years ago
As long as all of teams group games are in one country I like this idea. Group A (Venues of Wembley, Old Trafford, Emirates etc), Group B (Nou Camp, Bernabau etc)
jumberto
16 years ago
1 week ago
By Fantastic | Permalink | On 06 December 2012 - 17:44 PM
I think it's an interesting idea if done well. It's nowhere near as bad as Blatter trying to get the 2022 World Cup played in the winter.
KEZ_7
17 years ago
23 hours ago
Knowing Platini, he'll just give France an automatic spot.

Might work that the winner of 2016 hosts the final or gets auto qualification?
Ninja
14 years ago
6 years ago
It's a good idea as long as Malta aren't playing Slovenia in Scotland, or other similarly retarded fixtures.
jumberto
16 years ago
1 week ago
By KEZ_7 | Permalink | On 06 December 2012 - 20:18 PM
Knowing Platini, he'll just give France an automatic spot.

Might work that the winner of 2016 hosts the final or gets auto qualification?

Platini's already given France the whole tournament in 2016 despite them having hosted major tournaments recently.
Franck
17 years ago
3 days ago
By jumberto | Permalink | On 06 December 2012 - 20:30 PM
Platini's already given France the whole tournament in 2016 despite them having hosted major tournaments recently.

1998 is hardly recent. May as well say England shouldn't have been in considered for the World Cup because you had Euro 96.
VP.
13 years ago
1 week ago
Shut up Franck.
Franck
17 years ago
3 days ago
Yeah, I should just let you continue your stupid, yet incredibly predictable conspiracy theories unopposed.

It's absolutely hilarious to read all the utterly moronic things that gets said by otherwise completely sensible English people whenever Blatter or Platini come up in a conversation. The ludicrous persecution complex you people have is just pure comedy.
Fantastic
13 years ago
1 week ago
Yeah, shut up Franck. LUDICROUS

You'll need to Login to comment