Crane
14 years ago
5 days ago
Premium
Pep Guardiola will take the Bayern job in the summer, with Jupp Heynckes leaving. Confirmed on the Bayern twitter.
bluemoon.
17 years ago
3 months ago
Premium
Didn't see that coming.
Franck
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
Perfect fit for him. Hoeneß, Sammer and co. will continue running the club while Pep can focus entirely on coaching, just like he's said he wants.
Telegram Sam
15 years ago
5 months ago
Premium
Fucking hell - all of this talk about him coming to England and this happens. Good luck to him.
Sam
17 years ago
1 year ago
Incredibly surprised. But it's a great fit for him.
KEZ_7
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
Great move by both of them, perfect coach to fit Bayern's style of wanting to play and use home grown players and then a great club that will most likely give him time and support to deliver.
Franck
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
This has been rumoured for a while by the way, it's not completely out of nowhere.

Judging by the reaction of you guys I suppose the rumours might just not have been picked up by the English media. I'd wager that the general interest for FC Bayern in England would be pretty low, so it makes sense.
Telegram Sam
15 years ago
5 months ago
Premium
By Franck | Permalink | On 16 January 2013 - 16:15 PM
This has been rumoured for a while by the way, it's not completely out of nowhere.

Judging by the reaction of you guys I suppose the rumours might just not have been picked up by the English media. I'd wager that the general interest for FC Bayern in England would be pretty low, so it makes sense.

It's not so much that, but moreso that it was only yesterday that he declared his interest in managing in England.
bluemoon.
17 years ago
3 months ago
Premium
I'd put money on United being his next club.
Franck
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
By duckeggmoon | Permalink | On 16 January 2013 - 16:31 PM

I doubt it.

First of all, Pep has been very consistent in saying that he does not want to be a manager, he'll prefer clubs that have an established structure with directors of sport, chairmen etc. sharing the responsibilities, letting him focus on coaching. FC Bayern is a prime example of such a club while United are pretty much the total antithesis.

Second of all, we have no idea if he actually has what it takes to be successful at a club other than Barca, What he did with Barcelona was very impressive, but Barca are not like any other club.

And finally, I think most people have realised by now that Fergie won't leave his post until his health gives in. That might be as far as 10-15 years away.
jumberto
16 years ago
1 month ago
Fuckers, I heard a rumble yesterday and thought about putting money on it but didnt. Wasn't expecting him to announce his decision so soon.

The only people saying he was definitely coming to England were the English media.
Crane
14 years ago
5 days ago
Premium
Think a lot of people were thrown off yesterday when Bayern came out and said they were only talking to Jupp, and then Pep said he wants to manage in England at some time.
Fantastic
13 years ago
1 month ago
Banned
Benitez is the most delighted.
SpinSwimScream
14 years ago
1 day ago
very surprising, but glad he has gone there to be honest, it does seem like a good fit for him and he could well do a cracking job there. never thought he would come to Utd, despite what the media where trying to say, Fergie most likely wont retire until health forces him to
smurphptfc
12 years ago
10 years ago
By Franck | Permalink | On 16 January 2013 - 16:15 PM

It's more because they all reckon the EPL is the best league in the world by a considerable distance and cannot believe that Guardiola would want to go anywhere else bar England.
Telegram Sam
15 years ago
5 months ago
Premium
By Franck | Permalink | On 16 January 2013 - 16:48 PM
And finally, I think most people have realised by now that Fergie won't leave his post until his health gives in. That might be as far as 10-15 years away.

I can't see that. 10-15 years? The man's 71. He's clearly very capable of continuing for a while yet but I'm confident he'll have moved on in the next 2-3 years. If I had to put money on it I reckon he'll have handed the reigns over by the 2014-15 season.
Ninja
14 years ago
6 years ago
By duckeggmoon | Permalink | On 16 January 2013 - 16:31 PM

Maybe, I don't think so though.

Mostly for the reasons Franck listed. I don't see Fergie retiring yet, so maybe the chance of Mourinho will go if he joins you or Chelsea at the end of the season. In which case, Pep becomes more likely again.
Hibee
17 years ago
3 years ago
By Crane | Permalink | On 16 January 2013 - 17:18 PM
Think a lot of people were thrown off yesterday when Bayern came out and said they were only talking to Jupp, and then Pep said he wants to manage in England at some time.

BBC Sport had a story about that earlier today, not surprisingly they've had to take it down.
Crane
14 years ago
5 days ago
Premium
By Hibee | Permalink | On 16 January 2013 - 18:28 PM
BBC Sport had a story about that earlier today, not surprisingly they've had to take it down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21039286

That one?

I have no doubts he will manage in England at some point in his career. He's still very, very young in managerial terms.
Hibee
17 years ago
3 years ago
No, it was a longer version of that without the video.
Jonas
17 years ago
4 years ago
Premium
Proving Bundesliga's current stature this, although FC Hollywood is still a bit of an exception.
Fantastic
13 years ago
1 month ago
Banned
By Ninja | Permalink | On 16 January 2013 - 18:17 PM
Maybe, I don't think so though.

Mostly for the reasons Franck listed. I don't see Fergie retiring yet, so maybe the chance of Mourinho will go if he joins you or Chelsea at the end of the season. In which case, Pep becomes more likely again.

Short of bringing in Mourinho; Man Utd are going to have to implement a power sharing system involving sporting directors etc in order to counteract the inevitable downturn that Ferguson's departure will bring on.
Ninja
14 years ago
6 years ago
By Fantastic | Permalink | On 16 January 2013 - 19:08 PM
Short of bringing in Mourinho; Man Utd are going to have to implement a power sharing system involving sporting directors etc in order to counteract the inevitable downturn that Ferguson's departure will bring on.

It's going to be interesting, I think the best thing is that we've already massively cocked up once when Busby left so we should be wise enough to avoid repeating the mistakes we allowed then.

I think it's Mourinho or a former player, Moyes is an interesting proposition but I think it's too much of a gamble.

I can see them both working, Mourinho has the ego to say that he's going to do things his way, a former player will ensure a type of dynastic succession hopefully ensuring what made us so good under Ferguson remains, I can only really see Solskjear in the frame at the minute but that may change.

There's a few other managers who could do alright, Jürgen Klopp is one of the more interesting suggestions but I think it all depends how they start, I'm not sure anyone apart from Mourinho or a former player could survive a poor start.
Jamieandhisego
17 years ago
1 year ago
The dynasty will be in good hands because David Moyes will be Fergie's successor as he is the only manager in world football who has proven he can build and rebuild a squad at the same club- and that's without resources.
Telegram Sam
15 years ago
5 months ago
Premium
I'd back Moyes for the job. Mourinho could be fantastic but he could be a disaster as well - his ego might be too big for a club like United. His time at Madrid can't have helped his chances.
JCash3000
11 years ago
10 years ago
Strange decision...
K3V0
15 years ago
1 year ago
Can't say I'm surprised to see him pick a club like Bayern Munich.

He'll have funds available for new players and will inherit a very good squad that's capable of challenging the best. I'm excited to see how Pep will impact on Schweinsteigers game!!
Dutton
17 years ago
2 months ago
Toni Kroos more like.
Franck
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
By Telegram Sam | Permalink | On 16 January 2013 - 18:17 PM
I can't see that. 10-15 years? The man's 71. He's clearly very capable of continuing for a while yet but I'm confident he'll have moved on in the next 2-3 years. If I had to put money on it I reckon he'll have handed the reigns over by the 2014-15 season.

People have run nations well into their 80s, I don't doubt that a healthy Ferguson could do the same with a football club.
.verse
12 years ago
4 months ago
It's a safe choice by Pep.

That said, I'm glad he's not coming to Chelsea. I'm not really convinced at all by his ability as a manager and without the highest order of players. So will be interesting to see how he really fares without the likes of Messi/Iniesta etc. An expensive bullet dodged me thinks.

You'll need to Login to comment