Grimnir
16 years ago
2 months ago
http://media-assets-02.thedrum.com/cache/images/thedrum-prod/s3-news-tmp-10557-uefa2--2x1--940.jpg

In what most thought was probably a random friendly, Rangers kicked off their European campaign last night against minnows St Joseph's away in Gibraltar. They waited until the second half to score, bagging four to make the return trip ironically nothing more than a glorified friendly for the semi-professional team.

There is a massive list of fixtures to take place on Thursday, and Rangers fans will no doubt be keeping an eye on the result in Cork City as the winner in their game against Progres Niederkorn will now undoubtedly play them. Staying in Ireland, St Pat's face off against IFK Norrkoping, Cliftonville play FK Haugesund, Crusaders welcome B36 Torshavn to their loveshack whilst Shamrock Rovers have an away day at Brann and Ballymena have a hard away fixture against Malmo FF.

Back to Scotland though, where Aberdeen have some visitors in the form of RoPS Rovaniemi whilst Kilmarnock fans get a (relatively) short trip to Wales as their team takes on Connah's Quay Nomads.

I don't know if any of these early rounds are televised though?!
Shedender
17 years ago
1 month ago
I don't know if any of these early rounds are televised though?!

Rangers' game in Gibraltar was shown on Premier Sports 1 but I'm not sure about the second leg this Thursday, Aberdeen's trip to RoPS this Thursday is on Premier Sports.
Grimnir
16 years ago
2 months ago
Rangers' game in Gibraltar was shown on Premier Sports 1 but I'm not sure about the second leg this Thursday, Aberdeen's trip to RoPS this Thursday is on Premier Sports.

I have Sky Sports, BT sport and the full Virgin Media packages - yet I bet I need another subscription to watch that channel?
davysrfc
12 years ago
1 month ago
Irish teams had a bit of a disappointing week in Europe, St. Pats losing to a much better Norkopping side from Sweden in Dublin (after stealing the European spot from Waterford a couple of months ago), Cork losing to Progres Niederkorn from Luxembourg at home and Shamrock Rovers saving the week with a 93rd minute equaliser away to SK Brann in Norway. All these games (and Dundalks Champions League game in Riga) are all on TV here (and premier sports in the UK as far as I know) so something different to watch. Looking forward to Brann coming to Tallaght.
Grimnir
16 years ago
2 months ago
Yeah, just seen Aberdeen's game is on Premier Sports and of course that needs a separate subscription, I pay enough for all of these other sports channels so not gonna shell out another just for some qualifiers!
davysrfc
12 years ago
1 month ago
99 pounds is a bit of a pisstake.
Grimnir
16 years ago
2 months ago
99 pounds is a bit of a pisstake.

That's the total for my whole tv package, internet, landline and unlimited data on mobile phone!
Grimnir
16 years ago
2 months ago
So, as above, couldn't watch any of the games last night. Which is a shame as there were a couple of crackers!

The biggest shock was Connah's Quay Nomads beating Kilmarnock 2-0 away from home to progress into the next round, couple of red cards in that game too! Their reward, a fixture against much tougher opposition in the guise of Partizan Belgrade. Aberdeen replicated their first leg 2-1 victory to advance and, keeping in Scotland, Ranges thrashed their Gibraltan opponents. Crusaders won a hard fought tie to take them deeper into the Europa League along with Shamrock Rovers.

Cork City won their game on the night, but lost on aggregate overall. Cliftonville crumbled on the night, and Ballymena couldn't perform the miracle they needed. St Pat's Athletic repeated their first leg game, unfortunately that was a 2-1 loss.

So, the next round of fixtures for the British and Irish teams:

HB Tórshavn v Linfield (new entrants and they play on the Tuesday, not Thursday)
Aberdeen v Chikhura Sachkhere (a Georgian team)
Connah's Quay Nomads v Partizan Belgrade
Rangers v Progrès Niederkorn (who knocked out Cork City)
Shamrock Rovers v Apollon Limassol (based in Cyprus)
Wolverhampton Wanderers v Crusaders (this one surely has to be on tv?!)

mons
17 years ago
55 minutes ago
Amazing result in Croatia yesterday. Semi-professional Gzira United of Malta overcame a 2-nil home defeat against Hajduk Split and qualified for the next round on away goals after winning 3-1 in Split. Even more impressive when you consider that Hajduk went 1-nil up on the night.

Gzira's second goal was a thing of beauty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlD3qpHy1a8
Grimnir
16 years ago
2 months ago
@mons that goal is worthy of winning any tie!
mons
17 years ago
55 minutes ago
@mons that goal is worthy of winning any tie!

I'm not sure all the 18,000-odd Croats in the stadium fully agree tbh

There was apparently just one (1) away supporter there, too!
VP.
13 years ago
1 week ago
I'm not sure all the 18,000-odd Croats in the stadium fully agree tbh

There was apparently just one (1) away supporter there, too!

It was you wasn't it
mons
17 years ago
55 minutes ago
It was you wasn't it

Nah, my loyalties are firmly elsewhere
davysrfc
12 years ago
1 month ago
Some massive results in this round. Cork very unlucky to go out. I was at the Shamrock Rovers v Brann game in Tallaght, and it was a brilliant performance. Brann gave us a game. Pitch invasions and madness in the South Stand when the 2nd goal went in. We play Apollon Limassol in the next round, first leg on Thursday in Tallaght.

Also @Suffolk Seasider not sure if this is allowed, if not delete as appropriate, but skorlive.com is a good spot for streaming games.
Grimnir
16 years ago
2 months ago
Firstly, let us remember those newly fallen in the latest round of fixtures. Shamrock Rovers may have got the home win but their opposition did better at their home. Crusaders couldn't match the Premier League might of Wolves and were fed to the pack. The Nomads went home too after losing to Belgrade, though they did get some unexpected fans from Kilmarnock who they knocked out previously.

Some teams did progress, Rangers against Progrés Niederkorn for example! Another Scottish team, Aberdeen, comfortably advanced too with a 5-0 home victory after a cagey 1-1 draw. Linfield are through the next round after a hard fought battle, again their second leg home tie seeing them through.

So the next lot of British and Irish fixtures are:
Sutjeska Niksic v Linfield (a Montenegrin side, every chance for David Healey's side there?!)
Slovan Bratislava v Dundalk (A tough fixture away in Slovakia)
Pyunik v Wolverhampton Wanderers (might want to ask Chelsea and Arsenal fans about travelling to Armenia!)
Ludogorets Razgrad v TNS (I don't see the Welsh side getting anything here!)
Midtjylland v Rangers (The Scottish side will have to step up as they have coasted through so far)
HNK Rijeka v Aberdeen (Another tough call for a Scottish side)

Shedender
17 years ago
1 month ago
Porto, Young Boys and Feyenoord for Rangers.

Tough enough group!
Grimnir
16 years ago
2 months ago
Grimnir
16 years ago
2 months ago
Porto, Young Boys and Feyenoord for Rangers.

Tough enough group!

Arguably the toughest group of them all.
Shedender
17 years ago
1 month ago
Arguably the toughest group of them all.

Celtic's a tough group as well. Sevilla should win their group without any serious issues.
kingrobbo
14 years ago
4 hours ago
Celtic's a tough group as well. Sevilla should win their group without any serious issues.

yes agreed
Lazio v celtic games could be a fun watch
VP.
13 years ago
1 week ago
Quite please with our draw, not much travelling every Thursday.
2D Pitch FM
17 years ago
7 months ago
5 wins in 22 following that 0-0 draw.

Glad I didn't have to rush home from work to watch that.
Shedender
17 years ago
1 month ago
I'm a little annoyed we lost to Young Boys in the bloody 93rd minute.
GreenFront
6 years ago
3 years ago
Well started the tournament really good with 5:1 CSKA and 0:3 against Ferencvarosi..Espanyol game should be the decider
VP.
13 years ago
1 week ago
Our kids are so much more entertaining to watch than the first team.
Grimnir
16 years ago
2 months ago
Xhaka back for Arsenal in tonight's Europa League game, supposedly...
VP.
13 years ago
1 week ago
Anyone else wake up everyday hoping their manager has been sacked/resigned?
TinakoFM
10 years ago
2 days ago

Poor Emery. As a United fan, I've still got a little faith left in Ole; probably misplaced, mind.
2D Pitch FM
17 years ago
7 months ago
Well done Rangers for progressing last night. Fab effort over in Braga

United's return leg with Brugge tonight. Think we'll need some more Fernandes magic if we're to progress. We were awful in the first leg so hopefully much better tonight or it's just back to fighting for the top 4.
VP.
13 years ago
1 week ago

...and players, coaching staff, scouts, physios, director of football, technical director, mascot (sorry Gunnersaurus but you have to take some of the blame), groundsman, tea lady and the coach driver.

You'll need to Login to comment