Franck
17 years ago
3 weeks ago
Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83 they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost.
ianbaker
12 years ago
7 years ago
Do you like Phil Collins?

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.
Fantastic
13 years ago
1 month ago
Banned
In this thread, people who haven't read American Psycho.
Franck
17 years ago
3 weeks ago
It's on my bookshelf, just haven't gotten to it yet.

Been too busy returning videotapes.
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
THE SONGS THEMSELVES SEEMED ARRANGED MORE AROUND COLLINS' DRUMMING THAN MIKE RUTHERFORD'S BASS LINES OR TONY BANKS' KEYBOARD RIFFS. A CLASSIC EXAMPLE OF THIS IS "MISUNDERSTANDING", WHICH NOT ONLY WAS THE GROUP'S FIRST BIG HIT OF THE EIGHTIES BUT ALSO SEEMED TO SET THE TONE FOR THE REST OF THEIR ALBUMS AS THE DECADE PROGRESSED.
Fantastic
13 years ago
1 month ago
Banned
Read it. Your shine to Patrick Bateman will dissipate, rapidly. He's a repulsive human being. The tone of the book is drasticly different from the film.

It is one of the most difficult books to read though, the actual writing is a fucking pain to work through, but intentionally so. I took me about two years to finish it.
Franck
17 years ago
3 weeks ago
By Fantastic | Permalink | On 27 June 2013 - 17:35 PM
Read it. Your shine to Patrick Bateman will dissipate, rapidly. He's a repulsive human being. The tone of the book is drasticly different from the film.

It is one of the most difficult books to read though, the actual writing is a fucking pain to work through, but intentionally so. I took me about two years to finish it.

I don't need to read the book to know that.
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
I read it pretty quickly. The character is a fucking narcissistic monster (film version has absolutely nothing on book version) and I had to put it down a few times, but it's a brilliant read.
Fantastic
13 years ago
1 month ago
Banned
By Franck | Permalink | On 27 June 2013 - 16:54 PM
I don't need to read the book to know that.

But among a lot of people he holds a kind of anti-hero status. But for me, there's nothing redeeming about him, nothing he does or says has any merit.

I couldn't find the scene on the internet, so here it is in all its glory.

https://sortitoutsi.net/uploads/mirrored_images/zSGaU93JZspmAOfvKo6ewj7Ac4pwtGjxHksuLFbt.png
Fantastic
13 years ago
1 month ago
Banned
By The Platypus | Permalink | On 27 June 2013 - 16:55 PM
I read it pretty quickly. The character is a fucking narcissistic monster (film version has absolutely nothing on book version) and I had to put it down a few times, but it's a brilliant read.

I just find it really difficult to read in terms of the actual language structure. Entire pages with no paragraph breaks, aimless description, meaningless interaction. It's brilliant because that style is so deliberately used to desensitise you to everything that happens in his life, to show how fucking pointless everything is. But it's still a really frustrating read.
Franck
17 years ago
3 weeks ago
By Fantastic | Permalink | On 27 June 2013 - 17:58 PM
But among a lot of people he holds a kind of anti-hero status. But for me, there's nothing redeeming about him, nothing he does or says has any merit.

The fact that Bateman's narcissistic tendencies are meant as a parody and criticism of such behaviour passes over the head of many and that's where his anti-hero status stems from. His fetishistic obsession with himself and his own appearance appeals to people who share that obsession.

No-one in their right mind would ascribe any anti-hero status to the brain-eating, chainsaw-wielding, prostitute-murdering side of Bateman showed in the film.
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
Unfortunately a lot of intelligent material has been twisted by fucking morons. Same reason some racists see This Is England as THEIR movie.
Hibee
17 years ago
3 years ago
By Fantastic | Permalink | On 27 June 2013 - 17:02 PM
I just find it really difficult to read in terms of the actual language structure. Entire pages with no paragraph breaks, aimless description, meaningless interaction. It's brilliant because that style is so deliberately used to desensitise you to everything that happens in his life, to show how fucking pointless everything is. But it's still a really frustrating read.

Around halfway through you do find yourself skimming the paragraphs describing what the dozen folk in a meeting, party etc are wearing.
Phoenix Arrow
15 years ago
1 year ago
I need to get some more pot. I'm running out. Then I need to get laid. Where the fuck was Lauren tonight? That Lara girl was kind of hot. I could bang her and feel good about it. But I'd rather have Lauren. I wonder why? It would just ruin my illusion of her purity. Whoa, is that really what I want?.. I need to get laid... and then I need to get some more pot.

Is that the right Bateman? Love that film. need to get around to reading the book.

American Psycho though as a film/book/concept makes me feel unwell. I'm in a weird position with horror and gore. I can watch a horror film and I'll enjoy it. Put a shit slasher film on and I'll turn off. I'm not saying American Psycho is a shit slasher film, I admire Ellis and an author and whatever and I completely get the point, but when you take away everything, the film really doesn't have any redeeming features. It's about a guy who kills people in extravagant fashion for no reason. There's no real suspense, no real mystery, nothing like that. He just kills them, Then goes to a cocktail party or some shit. I get the idea behind it but it's not for me.
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
Is there actually any gore in American Psycho (the film) ?

It's more of a satire/comedy than anything else.
Phoenix Arrow
15 years ago
1 year ago
I was kind of talking about the book and film at the same time there.
The film doesn't have gore in it particularly., it just seems a bit pointless. I get the intent behind it but I don't get the purpose... look I'm trying to make sense but it's not working. It's been a long day. I'm sorry. All I'm saying is I liked Rules of Attraction and Less Than Zero more.
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
Haven't read Rules of Attraction yet, but yeah, Less Than Zero is a brilliant book.
Eric Portapotty
15 years ago
1 day ago
Yeah, I'm not going to read it anytime soon, no.
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
By Eric Portapotty | Permalink | On 28 June 2013 - 02:24 AM
Yeah, I'm not going to read it anytime soon, no.

Why not?
Justicar
17 years ago
3 weeks ago
Premium
It's a great read. I was glad I read it.

My favourite bit was the massive section about business cards.
Obtuse
15 years ago
3 years ago
By Franck | Permalink | On 27 June 2013 - 16:19 PM
Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83 they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost.

Fuck off. Just fuck off. Not even I am old enough to give an OP like this. You superficial cunt, fuck off and die. You pathetic hipster wanker, fuck off and draw up on OP that is unique to you and not something that has been planted in you.

How can you not see how fucking retarded your OP is in 2013 (a whole 30 years later)?
Phoenix Arrow
15 years ago
1 year ago
You...
I mean you are on a wind up this time, right? Even if you're not aware of the reference, you must've read the rest of the thread?
Franck
17 years ago
3 weeks ago
By Phoenix Arrow | Permalink | On 04 July 2013 - 21:38 PM
You...
I mean you are on a wind up this time, right? Even if you're not aware of the reference, you must've read the rest of the thread?

Just for the sake of how fucking funny it'd be, I'll just assume that he was oblivious to the reference.
Obtuse
15 years ago
3 years ago
By Phoenix Arrow | Permalink | On 04 July 2013 - 20:38 PM
You...

I do not. I am somewhat inebriated and pissed at some of the mongols on this forum (excuse the irony)
Franck
17 years ago
3 weeks ago
By Obtuse | Permalink | On 04 July 2013 - 21:54 PM
I do not. I am somewhat inebriated and pissed at some of the mongols on this forum (excuse the irony)

Obtuse
15 years ago
3 years ago
I do apologise then. I should have known better but as yet I have not watched it fully in 5 times of trying.
Hibee
17 years ago
3 years ago
Half drunk KM is kinda amusing, who'd have thought...
Phoenix Arrow
15 years ago
1 year ago
Sussudio is Phil Collins best song in fairness though.
Mr Willy
16 years ago
1 week ago
A drunk guy in the shop was asking if I liked Phil Collins earlier, I was shitting myself, having watched American Psycho at 3 in the morning recently.
Franck
17 years ago
3 weeks ago
I have now finished the book. Patrick Bateman is one shallow, sick fuck.

The book is good though, I'd rate it as a 4/5.

You'll need to Login to comment