Telegram Sam
15 years ago
4 hours ago
Premium
Home of the 2011/12 SPL Champions.

http://e0.365dm.com/12/05/504x378/Neil-Lennon-SPL-title-celeb_2764559.jpg

Encouraging signs coming out of the club that we're trying to sign tie down six first-team players to long term contracts.

Celtic manager Neil Lennon is optimistic the club can agree new contracts with six of his first-team regulars.

Lennon revealed talks have been instigated with James Forrest, Gary Hooper, Adam Matthews, Charlie Mulgrew, Thomas Rogne and Victor Wanyama.

The Hoops extended the contracts of Czech twins Filip and Patrik Twardzik earlier this week, and Lennon is keen to tie down some of his first-team regulars.

"Those players are all in talks at the minute with their respective parties. We're hoping to get over the line with all of them," said Lennon.

"The likes of Mulgrew, Wanyama, Matthews, Forrest and Hooper have played brilliantly for me and I want to reward them for that level of performance."

Matthews has come out and said he wants to stay as well. Hope he does, been excellent for us since he joined.
Bhoy_Wonder
17 years ago
2 months ago
Motherwell away today, first Saturday 3pm kick off since 2005 I think...plenty of drinking time before the game.

Think it'll be a tough game despite Motherwell's result earlier in the week, 2-1 I reckon.
Slashman X
17 years ago
5 months ago
Premium
Neil Lennon was involved in what he described as a "bizarre" press conference ahead of Celtic's Champions League Group G clash with Spartak Moscow at the Luzhniki Stadium tomorrow night.

At the Hoops' hotel in Moscow a local journalist, in the most offbeat way, engaged the bemused Parkhead boss in discussion about various topics including Rangers, Sir Sean Connery and former Celtic midfielder Aiden McGeady, who now plies his trade for the Russian outfit, before a UEFA official eventually stepped in to prevent it all becoming too silly.

The Northern Irishman posted on his Twitter account afterwards "Well that was one of the more bizarre press conferences I've had to do."

Lennon was asked if he would help Old Firm rivals Rangers, who relaunched in the Irn-Bru Third Division this season after descending into administration, if he had 100million euros to spend.

The former Celtic skipper jokingly responded: "Would I help Rangers? If I had that money you wouldn't see me again, I would be in Las Vegas or somewhere like that!

"I have no idea how I would spend the money, I would invest it in the club and team and keep a little for myself."

Lennon was also asked, on the theme of benevolent club presidents and owners, if he would approach Sir Sean Connery if Celtic had any financial problems.

Almost incredulous at the random link between the Scottish actor and the Parkhead club, he replied: "You've done your homework, haven't you?

"We don't see us having too many financial problems. The club is run very well and we have to work within our means.

"We don't have the finances of English clubs or a super-rich owner who is quite happy to plough loads of money in.

"We run the club as a business, we have a budget and a strategy set and we work within that and it has been very successful for us in terms of building a team for the future - but if you have Sean Connery's number I will take it off you."

One question which left Lennon scratching his head concerned famous Glaswegian Sean Connery. Credit: PA
Lennon - who at one point asked the UEFA interpreter of his Russian inquisitor, "is he a real journalist?" - was asked if a monument should be built in honour of McGeady for earning the Parkhead club a reported £9million when he joined Spartak in 2010.

"A statue?" said the Celtic manager.

"You need to do a little bit more at a club like ours to get a statue. Only people like Jock Stein and the great Jimmy Johnstone are worthy of that so far.

"Aiden is a tremendous player, very talented and definitely one to watch tomorrow and I'm sure he will be even more motivated than usual against his old club.

"He was a great servant to Celtic and is still held in high esteem at the club.

"In terms of bringing in players for the money, it was around about eight to 10, I couldn't tell you the exact number. We had a rebuilding job to do with the squad and we managed to do that."

Lennon made clear that he was not being detrimental in any way towards his former team-mate.

"He has improved since his days at Celtic," he said. "In the games I have watched Spartak play, Aiden has probably been their best attacking player.

"He looks in good condition. We all know how good he is on the ball but his movement off the ball is excellent. He covers the ground very quickly and he will be a threat.

"He will want to win the game and he will want to play well.

"I think there is an extra edge when you are playing against your former club and he will want to show everyone how his all-round game has improved since he left."

\o/
Telegram Sam
15 years ago
4 hours ago
Premium
Yeah, I read about that earlier. Not sure if they were just trolling or if they actually thought they were proper questions.
Jan.
17 years ago
1 month ago
Premium
Scott Brown answer to a russian journalist
Then Scott Brown was asked by that Russian journalist if Celtic players watch Braveheart before their games...
SB with a straight face: "Yes we watch Braveheart, and before every game we also put our kilts on and all dance together...

Need to see videos from these press conferences.
bluemoon.
17 years ago
3 months ago
Premium
By the sounds of it, these Celtic press conferences have been a right laugh. Lennon's sounded brilliant.
DMT Abuse
11 years ago
8 years ago
Telegram Sam
15 years ago
4 hours ago
Premium
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS
Obtuse
15 years ago
3 years ago
Well done Pacific Shelf 595
Jan.
17 years ago
1 month ago
Premium
Fucking brilliant.

3 more points, and hopefully snatch that EL place!
Jan.
17 years ago
1 month ago
Premium
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g353/daly67/64BE0C36-6D7E-4A3D-938D-E50A169C7079-2201-0000009DF6860ADC.jpg

Heres to another 125 years Celtic!
Telegram Sam
15 years ago
4 hours ago
Premium
Our greatest result in Europe since 1967? The only result in Europe to rival it in my lifetime was the win over United back in 2006, but they weren't the best side in the world at the time. Still pinching myself.
Jan.
17 years ago
1 month ago
Premium
I'd say so mate.

That being said, we still need a strong R*ngers in Scottish football...
AFC
16 years ago
8 years ago
Difference between Celtic and Rangers

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A7IVRGQCYAImqzd.png
Flash.
17 years ago
10 months ago
Premium
Celtics best result in god knows how many years - instantly start talking about Rangers.
AFC
16 years ago
8 years ago
Telegram Sam
15 years ago
4 hours ago
Premium
I personally couldn't give a fuck about Sevco at this point, we proved tonight we're more than capable of making a name for ourselves now that the Old Firm is dead. Celtic are a big club without the rivalry and Celtic Park remains one of the hardest places to come in Europe.
Telegram Sam
15 years ago
4 hours ago
Premium
http://www.imagegainer.com/images/Irish/celticpride1.jpg

Maybe the three of them will get to pull on the famous Hoops one day.
smurphptfc
12 years ago
10 years ago
By AFC | Permalink | On 07 November 2012 - 23:52 PM
Difference between Celtic and Rangers

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A7IVRGQCYAImqzd.png

Yeah, but if you're going by most recent results, Rangers beat the mighty Alloa 6-0 at the weekend, so...

I'm obviously not a Celtic fan, but watching that game tonight was fucking brilliant. Sensational result.
Jan.
17 years ago
1 month ago
Premium
Anyone seen the pic of Ambrose trying to get into a nightclub in Glasgow after the game whilst still wearing his Celtic tracksuit?
jumberto
16 years ago
1 month ago
Just watching CL Weekly thing on Sky, Victor Wanyama is McDonald Mariga's brother?!?! Did not know that.
Telegram Sam
15 years ago
4 hours ago
Premium
By jumberto | Permalink | On 10 November 2012 - 19:59 PM
Just watching CL Weekly thing on Sky, Victor Wanyama is McDonald Mariga's brother?!?! Did not know that.

Seriously? I remember hearing something about them being related but I thought they were distant cousins or something. Kenya must be smaller than I thought.
bluemoon.
17 years ago
3 months ago
Premium
His full-name is McDonald Mariga Wanyama.
Telegram Sam
15 years ago
4 hours ago
Premium
By duckeggmoon | Permalink | On 10 November 2012 - 21:33 PM
His full-name is McDonald Mariga Wanyama.

Well there you go.
jumberto
16 years ago
1 month ago
Victor's middle name is Mugabe, I'd be more worried about that.
Franck
17 years ago
3 weeks ago
There was a time when Robert Mugabe was hailed as the great hope for Africa. Lots of streets in Africa are named after him and there are a few statues in his honour scattered about.
Slashman X
17 years ago
5 months ago
Premium
Telegram Sam
15 years ago
4 hours ago
Premium
It was always going to be a tough draw no matter who we were drawn against, so I'm fine with Juventus. I doubt we'll have much of a chance but if we can take a narrow lead to Turin with us and defend like madmen we might just have a chance.

You'll need to Login to comment