VP.
13 years ago
4 weeks ago
Former undisputed heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis would be happy to make a sensational return to the ring to face IBF, WBA and WBO titlist Wladimir Klitschko - but only for the biggest purse in boxing history.

The 48-year-old Lewis last fought professionally over a decade ago, but told the Daily Mail he would be ready to step back into the ring with only six months of training on the condition that he is paid $100million, more than double the purse that was guaranteed to Floyd Mayweather in his victory over Saul Alvarez.

Lewis says he was offered $50m to end his retirement while he attended Klitschko's uninspiring unanimous decision victory over Alexander Povetkin in Moscow at the weekend, but would need double that to spring into action.

"That is my price tag and it is under discussion," Lewis told the Daily Mail. "I have told them I can be ready in six months and I am in provisional training.

"I said at the time that it will take $50m to get me out of my pyjamas but now I have to consider the value of my legacy of having retired as undisputed champion. That will cost them $100m."

Focused

Lewis had always maintained he had no interest in making a comeback since retiring after beating Klitschko's older brother Vitali in June 2003 in controversial circumstances, retaining his WBC title when the fight was stopped after the sixth round in Los Angeles.

The Ukrainian had a deep cut above his left eye but led on the judges' scorecards when officials ruled he could not continue. In the referee's opinion the cut had been caused by a punch, which meant that Lewis was automatically declared the winner.

A much-hyped rematch never materialised, but Lewis would be more focused on a fight with Wladimir should he decide to return to the ring.

"I beat Vitali so I would like to fight the other brother but we'll see how it works out," he said.

Would be pretty epic, but surely he is too old now.
Ninja
14 years ago
6 years ago
Must have blown all his money.
Franck
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
$100M?!?! I should have been a boxer!
Carroll.
15 years ago
3 years ago
I'll happily let Wlad beat me up for 1/100th of that sum
K3V0
15 years ago
1 year ago
Sounds like something from a Rocky movie.
SpinSwimScream
14 years ago
2 days ago
id definitely watch it, would almost certainly end in embarrassment for Lewis though
Fantastic
13 years ago
1 month ago
Banned
No promoter is paying Lennox Lewis even $10m of that money. B-Hop is almost that old, is an okay fighter, and he can't get anywhere near that cash. Add on top of that no fan wants to heavyweights any more because the entire division is trash and you're just left with either the punch-drunk ramblings of a former champion or something being taken out of context. Either way, never going to happen.

You'll need to Login to comment