Poe
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
I think it's about time we had a challenge on FM14 - and let's start off with the traditional Conference North/South to Premier League challenge.

It's been a while on FM since we've had a full group of people taking teams from the bottom all the way to the dizzy heights of the Premier League.

I've started in a network game with my mate, and I'm playing as North Ferriby while he has taken on the task of Barrow Town.

Task

Take a club in the Skrill North/South all the way to the Premier League - how you do it isn't important. Do you instill a fluid 4-2-3-1 in the non-league and try and play your way to the top, or do you become a modern day Don Revie and kick lumps out of everyone in your path?

Format

Whatever you want! Use this thread to talk to other challengers about tactics, players and teams that are pissing you off!

There might even be some prizes along the way!

Good luck.
SniperLFC
14 years ago
7 months ago
I've decided to start with something like this rather than attempt the pentagon straight away, last time I did that I spent 10 seasons in Sweden and got very frustrated lol.

My team of choice is Eastleigh, I will be attempting to play attacking football while frustrating the opponents with ball retention I hope.

I'm not going to start a career thread just yet, would like to play the game for a bit first
Poe
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
Aye, I haven't started a career thread yet either.

Who's your best player?
Scotty Walds
17 years ago
8 months ago
I'm playing as Boston United, and won Skrill North playing 4-1-3-2, with the 1 being a DM (anchorman), and the 3 being 2 box-to-box midfielders and an advanced playmaker.

The playmakers often finds himself between the 2 strikers (a false nine to link up, plus a poacher to score goals). I found my best front 2 were Spencer Weir-Daley as poacher, and Marc Newsham as F9. Ian Ross was my playmaker.

Lost most of the squad in the summer, but have signed lots of young players, with the odd older player, and started the Skrill Premier with a win and a draw so far.
philstanbridge
11 years ago
1 month ago
Premium
I started out as Stockport, and got them into League 1 before taking a battering. I was poached the same season Stockport were relegated by Charlton, who I have got into the Premiership. Stockport was very difficult. Not much money and a pretty tight board. I see they got relegated again. So they back at the start since I left
Poe
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
Spencer Weir Daley just scored a hattrick past me, the stupid prick.
Poe
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
http://i41.tinypic.com/5y9r3m.png

This guy is outstanding!
Poe
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
JD08
17 years ago
8 years ago
After a shocking first 6 games with Luton Town (3 losses, 2 draws and only one win) I've decided to make a deadline day bid for Ryan Kendall hoping he can bag at least half those goals in the Skrill Prem. Hopefully him and Bosko Balaban can make a good partnership.
Poe
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
Bosko Balaban aston villa legend.
JD08
17 years ago
8 years ago
Couldn't believe it when he signed. Scored 3 in 2 and hasn't played well since!
Poe
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
Just got promoted and signed Francis Jeffers

Got injured for 5 weeks on his debut /o\
Dan
12 years ago
4 months ago
Balaban, Jeffers, sounds like some stars in the lower leagues!

With my Berwick Rangers save disappearing off the face of the earth I am tempted to hit this up!
Poe
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
Do it,

I've assigned you the task of Leamington.
Dan
12 years ago
4 months ago
I don't do assignments sir!

I will have a hunt around later! May try and find a level 9/10 download link and do it properly unlike you half timers
JD08
17 years ago
8 years ago
Jeffers was absolutely woeful last year if I remember correctly.
Poe
17 years ago
2 weeks ago

I will have a hunt around later! May try and find a level 9/10 download link and do it properly unlike you half timers

We'll see who sticks with it the longest!

He's currently played 10 and scored 0
Shedender
17 years ago
1 month ago

We'll see who sticks with it the longest!

He's currently played 10 and scored 0

And it sounds like he's absolutely woeful this year too. Something's never chance!
Poe
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
He finally got his first goal against Gateshead, 25 yards out hit straight at the keeper who fumbled it in

Sitting 5th after 19 games.
GarviLoken
11 years ago
1 year ago
Premium
I'll jump in on this one as I've already got a career started. Like Sniper, I'm playing as Eastleigh. At about mid-March and have guaranteed a playoff spot, but sitting comfortably on the top. My star striker has been a regen from my youth team, Josh Brown who has netted 20 in his first season, celebrating his 18th midway through the year.

Also brought in a journeyman Derek Holmes. He is a brilliant signing. Great stats if you don't need pace, signs for low wages, as a back up meaning he never really loses morale. He's just activated his one year extension which I am more than happy to agree to as he's currently tutoring Brown anyway. He's bagged 15 or so, so has Fleetwood, with the other striker Strevens and McAllister getting into double figures too. We easily lead the scoring charts, but none of my players are in the top five goalscorers in the league. Guess that's what you call a team effort!...

I'm gonna wait till the list is drilled down a bit more. I want to play as my local team Clacton FC, although I do hate how you can get a good team together, and then have players nabbed before the window closes because they're all on amateur contracts....
Poe
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
Good to hear!

I love signing clearly past it players and watching them roll back the years.

Just got a 38 year old Rory Delap in for the last 6 months of the season.
Poe
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
Jeff Whitley and Rory Delap in centre midfield \o/

No wonder my promotion bid is falling away...
Dan
12 years ago
4 months ago
Decided to give it a go, tied in with Dafuge's challenge which Rick set up, so still a bottom to top just a year later starting and with a team that were non playable at the start:

https://sortitoutsi.net/uploads/mirrored_images/RXF56Cvw7NEfkgPEqJOPaTCj5UsiMd478D1bh4Og.png

I chose Weymouth as my club as they won promotion and now play in the Skrill south! Just an hours drive away from where I live so a fairly local club to me and one which should be fun! Added a couple of custom kits in to make sure I have graphics for them

https://sortitoutsi.net/uploads/mirrored_images/jGg37nk5tjWX3CLcqnlDsQw7RDdQqBIwzN4xMVqA.pnghttps://sortitoutsi.net/uploads/mirrored_images/uUf8mvLK4pnwfJftwoUXmG3zNPENme2BRUEGy92a.png

https://sortitoutsi.net/uploads/mirrored_images/20PaUb5JzaXVBtnIgJfiBSZ94DFseHYMvkiJVPH8.png

Also went for a strong staffing setup, well, experience on the pitch, shame we can't claw them out of retirement! Michael Owen, Jamie Carragher, Dean Ashton, Keiron Dyer, David Seaman, Hitzlsperger, Woodsworth oh and me!
Poe
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
Take it you've used the editor to put the staff in?
Dan
12 years ago
4 months ago
Nope, no editor used

Just the fact they have no reputation in managing, coaching etc so need to start somewhere, I had owen and dyer and ashton at my Berwick side in Scottish tier 3? 4?
Poe
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
Aye I've just hired Dyer, Carragher and Ashton for my North Ferriby side, just thought with their sizable reputation in football they wouldn't drop this low.

Also just signed non-league legend Exodus Geohagen - 6ft7 of pure muscle. Francis Jeffers and Izale McCleod is going to be my strikeforce.
Dan
12 years ago
4 months ago
Yeah I know, you'd have to think realistically would they join these clubs...not a chance! But for the game it makes it so much fun! building them up with the clubs!
Poe
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
Going well in the Conference this year, 6 points clear after 21 games.

Managed to get to the FA Cup 3rd round too where I'll welcome Man City to the Grange.

I also signed Luke Chadwick as Player/Director of Football \o/
Dan
12 years ago
4 months ago
Wow what a tie you have in the FA Cup! Be huge financially surely!?

I've completed my first seaosn as Weymouth and decided the story is time to go up! Season updates and the first seaosn update will be out first thing tomorrow!
Poe
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
Nah, it's at home so won't get much.

You'll need to Login to comment