Fantastic
13 years ago
1 month ago
Banned
https://sortitoutsi.net/uploads/mirrored_images/BKwwNVjSM9m8jTPZe9i1wf3bPkXjKb2fHxwiKc6F.png

So a wealth of information will be in Game Informer, as it has been for years.
Abbott
17 years ago
8 years ago
I want a picture of the map to drool over.
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
King Luis
17 years ago
2 months ago
Im half tempted to just avoid everything that comes out about this from now on, want it all to be a complete surprise. Not done that with a game for years
Deano
17 years ago
1 month ago
By King Luis | Permalink | On 12 October 2012 - 09:46 AM
Im half tempted to just avoid everything that comes out about this from now on, want it all to be a complete surprise. Not done that with a game for years

Impossible
KEZ_7
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
By Deano | Permalink | On 12 October 2012 - 09:57 AM
Impossible

Especially not here, it'll spill over to every thread

Looking forward to it, thought it wasn't out till summer!
King Luis
17 years ago
2 months ago
By Deano | Permalink | On 12 October 2012 - 09:57 AM
Impossible

Obviously i wont avoid everything but the vast majority of stuff ill be able to avoid seeing.
Obtuse
15 years ago
3 years ago
I hope they do something good with it. It hasn't been great since 2.
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
Fuck off, old man.
King Luis
17 years ago
2 months ago
KM such a hipster
Poe
17 years ago
2 days ago
you spelled cunt wrong.
King Luis
17 years ago
2 months ago
By Poe | Permalink | On 12 October 2012 - 17:50 PM
you spelled cunt wrong.

One in the same
Fantastic
13 years ago
1 month ago
Banned
By Obtuse | Permalink | On 12 October 2012 - 11:15 AM
I hope they do something good with it. It hasn't been great since 2.

It hasn't been great since 2.

I felt I needed to type that out, try on what it feels like to be a moron. The second is a decent game, if you compare it to the first. But the third, Vice City, San Andreas, the fourth... fuck the PSP games are markedly better games than the second. I've seen you argue some retarded points in your time (people being reflective over the death of Michael Clarke Duncan) but wow... so explain to me how the second was the last time the series was good.
Obtuse
15 years ago
3 years ago
By Fantastic | Permalink | On 13 October 2012 - 12:48 PM
It hasn't been great since 2.

I felt I needed to type that out, try on what it feels like to be a moron. The second is a decent game, if you compare it to the first. But the third, Vice City, San Andreas, the fourth... fuck the PSP games are markedly better games than the second. I've seen you argue some retarded points in your time (people being reflective over the death of Michael Clarke Duncan) but wow... so explain to me how the second was the last time the series was good.

Well firstly you and others were (and still are) wrong about MCD as other came in and also said.

As for GTA... Well they had the basic game but didn't really improve it much considering some of the clones have put out a better product with better controls.
Bian
13 years ago
8 years ago
I'm going to lose so much of my vacation when this comes out. Can't wait.
Jan.
17 years ago
1 month ago
Premium
By Obtuse | Permalink | On 13 October 2012 - 19:37 PM
Well firstly you and others were (and still are) wrong about MCD as other came in and also said.

As for GTA... Well they had the basic game but didn't really improve it much considering some of the clones have put out a better product with better controls.

GTA 2
http://www.gamestersparadice.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/GTA_2_1.jpg

GTA3
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b8/Gta3-pc-police.jpeg

The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
By Jan. | Permalink | On 13 October 2012 - 23:43 PM
GTA3
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b8/Gta3-pc-police.jpeg

GTA IV
http://www.thegtaplace.com/images/gta4/screenshots/pc/gta-iv-pc-screenshot_050.jpg

I MEAN IT'S BASICALLY THE SAME THING
Obtuse
15 years ago
3 years ago
A game is supposed to be a game though. The graphics mean little as the gameplay is what matters. The control system in 3D GTA is known for being shit (even Saints Row got that part right). GTA is vastly overrated and it brought nothing much to the games of now due to it's linear gameplay/world and shit controls but it did attempt to bring something fresh to the franchise and in a way it did as it sold more. Gamers know that sales mean jack shit though.
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
What exactly did Saints Row bring to the table? It basically just took San Andreas (the worst GTA game) and slightly turned up the ridiculousness. Rockstar were smart enough to realise that they wanted to bring the franchise in another direction, and really, Grand Theft Auto is the only game series that consistently brings the audience an even remotely smart/mature and also funny gangster crime story.

It has its problems, as does every game series, but it's still miles ahead of any other game of its type.
Obtuse
15 years ago
3 years ago
By The Platypus | Permalink | On 14 October 2012 - 01:56 AM
What exactly did Saints Row bring to the table? It basically just took San Andreas (the worst GTA game) and slightly turned up the ridiculousness. Rockstar were smart enough to realise that they wanted to bring the franchise in another direction, and really, Grand Theft Auto is the only game series that consistently brings the audience an even remotely smart/mature and also funny gangster crime story.

It has its problems, as does every game series, but it's still miles ahead of any other game of its type.

The control system.
Carroll.
15 years ago
3 years ago
Phoenix Arrow
15 years ago
1 year ago
By The Platypus | Permalink | On 14 October 2012 - 01:56 AM

The city is more vibrant, the side quests are more engaging, the city control is a nice touch with the rival gangs, the gunplay is better, the driving is better, the helicopter and plane piloting is a million times better, the level of customisation is better and the story is told in a more dynamic way. You can go "oh, I want to do a quest with Pierce/KInzie/Zimos" and there's more flexibility. Like there are quests which you have to do at a certain time and the non urgent stuff you can kind of do in whichever order you like. They also didn't just call you up and have a cry if you didn't answer the phone.

In no way do I think GTA and Saints Row are competitors anymore. In the past they were, but they've each found their niche. Having said that, if you look beyond the styling and the realism, for want of a better word, there are a lot of things Rockstar could learn from Saints Row. I completed Saints Row in a week. I didn't complete GTAIV because the keyboard controls were fucking awful. I've had a lot of fun playing it with my friend but she does the driving. Role reserval yo.

But comparing them thematically is stupid. It's like comparing Halo with Serious Sam.
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
By Phoenix Arrow | Permalink | On 14 October 2012 - 18:38 PM
The city is more vibrant, the side quests are more engaging, the city control is a nice touch with the rival gangs, the gunplay is better, the driving is better, the helicopter and plane piloting is a million times better, the level of customisation is better and the story is told in a more dynamic way. You can go "oh, I want to do a quest with Pierce/KInzie/Zimos" and there's more flexibility. Like there are quests which you have to do at a certain time and the non urgent stuff you can kind of do in whichever order you like. They also didn't just call you up and have a cry if you didn't answer the phone.

In no way do I think GTA and Saints Row are competitors anymore. In the past they were, but they've each found their niche. Having said that, if you look beyond the styling and the realism, for want of a better word, there are a lot of things Rockstar could learn from Saints Row. I completed Saints Row in a week. I didn't complete GTAIV because the keyboard controls were fucking awful. I've had a lot of fun playing it with my friend but she does the driving. Role reserval yo.

But comparing them thematically is stupid. It's like comparing Halo with Serious Sam.

Stop playing it on a fucking PC.

And in no way is the city more vibrant. The city is dead as shit, and boring looking. Sure the side quests are perhaps more interesting, but the story is fucking dreadful, so what's the point? Customisation I couldn't give two shits about, I actually don't want it. I want a fully formed character, I don't want some empty hole that I can make wear a banana on his head.

It all depends on what you want I guess. If you want to run around an empty playground spraying shit on civilians or if you want a videogame crime story. I know I want the latter, but I also know a lot of people want the former.
Phoenix Arrow
15 years ago
1 year ago
I meant vehicle customisation rather than character customisation. I can understand why you wouldn't want that though. That's not to say you can't have character customisation and not have a fleshed out character. Look at Dragon Age. But you know that. You're just trying to make a point. The town in SR3 isn't amazing, but I still think it's better than Liberty City. In SR3, it feels like you at least have something to do or somewhere to go, even if you don't really. In GTAIV, it just feels like nothings going on. Apart from missions, what else is there to do? Dates? Hanging out with the NPCs? That was tedious.

But you're still comparing the two based on story and stuff like that. I don't understand why.
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
By Phoenix Arrow | Permalink | On 14 October 2012 - 19:04 PM
I meant vehicle customisation rather than character customisation. I can understand why you wouldn't want that though. That's not to say you can't have character customisation and not have a fleshed out character. Look at Dragon Age. But you know that. You're just trying to make a point. The town in SR3 isn't amazing, but I still think it's better than Liberty City. In SR3, it feels like you at least have something to do or somewhere to go, even if you don't really. In GTAIV, it just feels like nothings going on. Apart from missions, what else is there to do? Dates? Hanging out with the NPCs? That was tedious.

But you're still comparing the two based on story and stuff like that. I don't understand why.

Story's a big part of the experience for me, and I'll always bring it up, even if people go "the story in Saints Row doesn't matter". Well then, the game doesn't matter to me.
As for gameplay, I still prefer GTA. Sure, you can say it's clunky and slower than Saints Row, but I'm not a big fan of the arcade like controls and gameplay of that game.

I just prefer the density and life of Liberty City.. the people there seem like they have some sort of objective. Where Saints Row seems a bit more like a cardboard cutout town.
Phoenix Arrow
15 years ago
1 year ago
Honestly, I've not played either game on a console because I got them both to play with friends. The gameplay and controls could be much better on console, but I somehow doubt that. On PC, in SR3, the cars do what you expect them too. In GTA4, it's like the handbrake is stuck on any time you try to turn. I mostly play games like this to explore the place and that's not fun if getting there isn't fun. I loved driving my purple bike around SR3. I'm yet to find a vehicle on GTA4 which I like driving.

Either way, for a game to sell me on story alone, it either has to either be incredibly atmospheric or have interesting characters. The character in GTA4 didn't interest me. They were well thought out and well written and that, but I didn't care about them. I didn't care about them in Saints Row either, but my favourite part of that game was just driving around and they didn't get in the way. In GTA4, the driving was arse and the characters got in the way of it. So I couldn't enjoy it. Though I did get an erection every time 1979 came on the radio.
Abbott
17 years ago
8 years ago
I actually quite liked SR3, but it really is just a knock-off of GTAIV with the ridiculous meter turned up higher. The driving was more like an arcade game, the characters were caricatures of themselves and the city felt like a nice design but nothing else. Its possibly a more fun game, mainly because its bat-shit crazy, but it wasn't particularly fulfilling for me. I gave a shit about Niko and felt like I was playing around in a real world, whereas SR3 was just a platform for doing stupid stuff with a bit of story to go with it.
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
Abbott gets it.
DB
15 years ago
7 years ago
Trust Platypus to called SA the worst GTA game.
Boone
17 years ago
8 years ago
Niko was such a miserable emo it was unbearable at times. It should have been a GTA IV as the full game using the story from 'The Ballad of Gay Tony'. As for me GTA has always been ridiculous, dating back from the 2d version where the L2 and R2 buttons made fart noises (not that they should bring that back).

Saints Row in that sense was in a way a kind of reminder of the old days when carriages propelled by men in gimp costumes would explode and scenes where you freefall for about 10minutes whilst jumping through crashing planes and shit.

Hopefully GTA V brings back some of that wacky stuff in the full game, keep some of the sophistication for the general storyline sure, but also make it so that some mental middle-eastern millionaire is occasionally telling me to do crazy stuff whilst blasting missiles around me in a golden helicopter.

You'll need to Login to comment