Fantastic
13 years ago
1 month ago
Banned
https://sortitoutsi.net/uploads/mirrored_images/SomjOde67qrOY3rAx69sjWzh0WvY68n7qPihafWA.png

Yes I know, FM Classic. But still, this shit is desperate. It's embarrassing that SI can't think of a better way to generate income with post release content and also insulting to the thousands of people who use products like FM Scout or FMRTE.

Not that anyone would ever admit to it, but I'm fascinated to see if anyone uses this and on a larger scale I really want to know how SI will do with sales of this and the other unlockable shit.

For me it just demonstrates what a wholly boring company they are, devoid of innovation. It's taken them over a decade just to bring the online play up to speed. Fuck I hate this company.
Liam12LUFC
13 years ago
9 years ago
I'm pretty sure there's another feature where you can pay to not be sacked from your job aswell amongst a couple of other things? The easiest money SI will ever get.
Flash.
17 years ago
10 months ago
Premium
Skacel better start saving.
Zoli
17 years ago
5 months ago
In country of Romania £2.50 is lot money. Me no buy buget, me use FMERTE
KEZ_7
17 years ago
1 day ago
The tragic thing is that people WILL use it, and if the past few years is anything to go buy they'll then brag about their achievements after using these cheats
Zoli
17 years ago
5 months ago
Oh and by the way.. This approach is retarded to put it simple. A lot of gaming companies realized that micro transactions are the best approach to get a constant income(see Valve), but the most important thing is that the player who pays shouldn't get any advantage over those who don't. For this Valve brought only cosmetics into the game, like weapon skins, hats or whatever. No problem with that. if you suck, you can make the game look prettier, but you will still end up sucking and those who are more skilled than you, but don't wish to pay, won't end up with a disadvantage.

SI should hire some good gfx designers from across the scene and make people pay for visual stuff. No harm in that. But then again, SI are known for making stupid decisions, such as restricted sites from creating eBooks for the game and whatnot.
Crane
14 years ago
1 week ago
Premium
By KEZ_7 | Permalink | On 18 October 2012 - 09:57 AM
The tragic thing is that people WILL use it, and if the past few years is anything to go buy they'll then brag about their achievements after using these cheats

Maybe have a career sub-section just for FMC games?
Felton
17 years ago
8 years ago
By Crane | Permalink | On 18 October 2012 - 11:44 AM
Maybe have a career sub-section just for FMC games?

That's a good idea.
Jason
17 years ago
2 months ago
I reckon they'll have found a way to stop programs like FMRTE< if theyre offering this. As FMRTE severely cuts SI's proffits.
TomDixon77
17 years ago
1 year ago
By Jay. | Permalink | On 18 October 2012 - 16:10 PM
I reckon they'll have found a way to stop programs like FMRTE< if theyre offering this. As FMRTE severely cuts SI's proffits.

How do you figure that?
Deleted Account #151676
By Felton | Permalink | On 18 October 2012 - 11:54 AM
That's a good idea.

I agree, It would be an insult to those who actually play the game properly and spend season after season building up their squad and finances just for some noobs with disposable incomes to clutter up the board with their plastic careers.
Phoenix Arrow
15 years ago
1 year ago
By Rick87 | Permalink | On 18 October 2012 - 18:01 PM
I agree, It would be an insult to those who actually play the game properly and spend season after season building up their squad and finances just for some noobs with disposable incomes to clutter up the board with their plastic careers.

Yeah. I have a full time job and like a life and shit so the time I have to play FM is fairly minimal. FM Classic makes sense for me to play it for that reason. I have no intention of buying any of those perks and I think splitting the careers section will just make people look down on FMC users.
Flash.
17 years ago
10 months ago
Premium
Tbh I think it's a good idea.

SI will make a decent amount of money out of it and they've kept it to the Classic mode, which most people serious about the game won't use anyway.
Telegram Sam
15 years ago
20 hours ago
Premium
Man, that's desperate. Luckily I have no real desire to play FM Classic so if they leave the main game alone, for the time being at least, I'm fine.
Zog
17 years ago
5 years ago
In all honesty I'm quite happy they're doing this.

It's not going to effect the game for me one bit, some mugs will get ripped off and maybe one day SI will invest this in something good, like non-shit new features.
Fantastic
13 years ago
1 month ago
Banned
Heavy emphasis on one day.
Jason
17 years ago
2 months ago
By TomDixon77 | Permalink | On 18 October 2012 - 17:55 PM
How do you figure that?

SI Charge £2.49 for an extra 10million on your budget, or you could use a totally free alternative and add as much money as you want for free. Why would they not try to make FMRTE not possible on FM 13?

Its pretty much like you charging 50p for a bag of sweets, in your sweet shop, but some dude is outside doing the EXACT same bags for free, would you leave him there? Of course you wouldn't, if you could move him on you most certainly would.
Rowan
16 years ago
1 month ago
By Jay. | Permalink | On 19 October 2012 - 03:24 AM
Its pretty much like you charging 50p for a bag of sweets, in your sweet shop, but some dude is outside doing the EXACT same bags for free, would you leave him there? Of course you wouldn't, if you could move him on you most certainly would.

I would be concerned that he appears to be giving sweets away, isn't that a the behaviour of a potential paedo...? What does he want me to do in return for those sweets....?

Perhaps you should have used a different analogy
Jason
17 years ago
2 months ago
By Rowan | Permalink | On 19 October 2012 - 08:57 AM
I would be concerned that he appears to be giving sweets away, isn't that a the behaviour of a potential paedo...? What does he want me to do in return for those sweets....?

Perhaps you should have used a different analogy

Well i never thought of it the way you did, maybe that says something

The sweet guy is gaining more custom, because hes giving them away (hes losing a profit just like SI would be if they let FMRTE exist), the person selling them would not be happy (because hes losing his profit, from the guy thats giving them away!), if he was happy...... he's in the wrong job.
Justicar
17 years ago
3 weeks ago
Premium
By Jay. | Permalink | On 20 October 2012 - 03:38 AM
Well i never thought of it the way you did, maybe that says something

The sweet guy is gaining more custom, because hes giving them away (hes losing a profit just like SI would be if they let FMRTE exist), the person selling them would not be happy (because hes losing his profit, from the guy thats giving them away!), if he was happy...... he's in the wrong job.

The difference is, is that the man in the shop has already signed the sweet-buyer up to a yearly base sweet program for circa 20-30£. The man outside then offers additional sweets that make the base sweet program a more attractive sweet system to be involved in. That person is therefore more likely to buy the "yearly base sweet program" next year.

This move allows SI to compete with the RTE, so it gets a slice of the market (it will be much less fiddly for players with disposable income to simply buy the "sweets" they want). SI wins either way. There is no need to stop the man outside, but they make it easier for their repeat customers to get a similar auxiliary product that the man outside is offering at a small cost (presumably to some people).

So sweets is a shit analogy.
TomDixon77
17 years ago
1 year ago
I think you're both overstating the userbase of FMRTE. Also, has it been confirmed that it'll be impossible to create FMRTE (or something similar) in FM13?
AFC
16 years ago
8 years ago
FM RTE charges people to use it these days. You can download it for free but have to pay a license to use any of the features.

Anyway, literally every game coming out these days has micro-transactions as a way to generate extra revenue throughout the year. This is the first year they are doing it so I'm sure they'll come up with innovative add-ons etc as the years go on.

I personally feel like it's a good idea. Those who want to use them can, those who don't are not forced to. It will not change your experience of the game if everyone else is using them and you aren't.
Fantastic
13 years ago
1 month ago
Banned
If you were to grade after release, paid for content on a 1-10 scale then charging people to cheat in their games comes in at a 1. I know you work for SI so you feel obligated to not shit on it, but it's a horrendous plan that requires no thought process and therefore provides no value.

But sure, IT'S A GREAT IDEA.
AFC
16 years ago
8 years ago
By Fantastic | Permalink | On 20 October 2012 - 19:18 PM
If you were to grade after release, paid for content on a 1-10 scale then charging people to cheat in their games comes in at a 1. I know you work for SI so you feel obligated to not shit on it, but it's a horrendous plan that requires no thought process and therefore provides no value.

But sure, IT'S A GREAT IDEA.

I just think that this being the first year SI are doing paid content, as the years progress the add-ons will get better and hopefully provide more value.

Also, just because the scene die-hards who play the game properly (who obviously aren't the target market for this stuff) don't see the value in it, doesn't mean that others will not. I mean as you said, paying to cheat is basic stuff but this is just the first set of add-ons which I expect will grow.

People obviously see the value in FM RTE as they pay for it to cheat, so the users who play that game in that kind of way will get value from the add-ons as well.

I'll wait for the figures to come in to see how well the paid content done, but from a business standpoint yeah I think it's a great idea and one that will be successful and can hopefully be built upon for FM14 on and beyond.

Anyway, what kind of things would you get value from? Just curious.
Fantastic
13 years ago
1 month ago
Banned
People want content that will add value to their game.

It is absolutely proven, beyond doubt, that there is no longevity in the pay2win model that free-to-play games offer. The short term increase in income evens out and the community withers and dies. The most successful free-to-play games, games which I might add thrive on after market content, are ones that do not give anyone an advantage. Don't alter the fundamental mechanics.

So you have to ask, what would be good content?

Added leagues - Cyprus, Nigeria, Egypt, the removed Thai league.
Skins
The ability to create custom tournaments so players can replicate international competitions

Aesthetic improvements that people who want them will buy. Calling paid-for-cheats good business is incredibly short sighted. It's not good business, good business is coming up with a microtransaction that doesn't satisfy the needs of a few lazy people, it is content that theoretically your entire userbase will be interested in.

I'm not an idiot, DLC is here to stay and only a stupidly ignorant video game company would ignore that. But it comes as no surprise to me see that the best idea SI could come up with when they ventured out into the unknown was this travesty. As I said in my original commentary, it shows how devoid of innovation they are.
AFC
16 years ago
8 years ago
By Fantastic | Permalink | On 20 October 2012 - 19:47 PM
People want content that will add value to their game.

It is absolutely proven, beyond doubt, that there is no longevity in the pay2win model that free-to-play games offer. The short term increase in income evens out and the community withers and dies. The most successful free-to-play games, games which I might add thrive on after market content, are ones that do not give anyone an advantage. Don't alter the fundamental mechanics.

So you have to ask, what would be good content?

Added leagues - Cyprus, Nigeria, Egypt, the removed Thai league.
Skins
The ability to create custom tournaments so players can replicate international competitions

Aesthetic improvements that people who want them will buy. Calling paid-for-cheats good business is incredibly short sighted. It's not good business, good business is coming up with a microtransaction that doesn't satisfy the needs of a few lazy people, it is content that theoretically your entire userbase will be interested in.

I'm not an idiot, DLC is here to stay and only a stupidly ignorant video game company would ignore that. But it comes as no surprise to me see that the best idea SI could come up with when they ventured out into the unknown was this travesty. As I said in my original commentary, it shows how devoid of innovation they are.

All valid points. I like the idea of the added leagues.

As for aesthetic improvements, I've been thinking about the idea of paying for the ability to change your teams kit and kit colours at the end of a season. I get bored of seeing the same colours every game and when I played FML I used to change the colours often, something small but I suppose this provides value for some people. Haven't discussed this with anyone yet though, not even sure if it would be feasible due to licenses.
TomDixon77
17 years ago
1 year ago
The lack of a 'dark' skin has puzzled me this year. SI must remember the level of complaints they got when they first moved to lighter skins (FM08? FM09, I'm old and forget easily), and I think they might use FMC for custom tournaments, though they'll likely be DLC (a British superleague or similar wouldn't be surprising).

They aren't going to bother getting licenses for new leagues, or adding smaller countries, unless something like the Premier League or Bundesliga suddenly become available, as the editor allows people who want stuff like African leagues, etc. (and it's only going to be diehards who do) to add them
kingjericho
15 years ago
1 week ago
So far it seems to me that FMC is the 'noob mode'. I'd guess at least half of the FM gamers are relative 'noobs' to the game (dont use any addons or editors) and so for them these unlockables will be a useful feature. SI will probably raise enough money to pay 10 or 20 guys' salaries for the year.

(when I say noobs I don't mean stupid people, I just mean people who don't invest much time in the game, it's not to be taken offensively.)
Fantastic
13 years ago
1 month ago
Banned
By TomDixon77 | Permalink | On 20 October 2012 - 23:22 PM
The lack of a 'dark' skin has puzzled me this year. SI must remember the level of complaints they got when they first moved to lighter skins (FM08? FM09, I'm old and forget easily), and I think they might use FMC for custom tournaments, though they'll likely be DLC (a British superleague or similar wouldn't be surprising).

They aren't going to bother getting licenses for new leagues, or adding smaller countries, unless something like the Premier League or Bundesliga suddenly become available, as the editor allows people who want stuff like African leagues, etc. (and it's only going to be diehards who do) to add them

Well see the funny thing is that for countries like Egypt the infrastructure is already there. They have all the teams, the players, the aesthetical data. All they need is the license. Now if you replicate that with three other leagues and then charge £2 and call it the Africa pack. Would you get 10,000 sales? Maybe, maybe not. The question should be is it worth their time. Well yes it would be. Because you're not going to get a solid set of empirical data on the willingness of your userbase to buy DLC if the experiment is going to be using shit like paid for cheats.
Tommo.
12 years ago
1 year ago
Id happily pay the couple of quid for african leagues and that. No way I would pay just for extra funds or not to be sacked though.

You'll need to Login to comment