SR67
12 years ago
2 months ago
So. Looking for a challenge?

http://i39.tinypic.com/2la6jns.jpg

I've got one here, not exactly new but it could be fun. Moneyball.

After reading 'Soccernomics' by Simon Kuper & Stefan Szymanski and the movie based on the Oakland A's I have become very interested in this. It's about taking a club with little or no cash and competing at the highest level.

Heres the guidelines/rules that I've found.

1.New managers waste money, ergo, limit their say in transfers.
Disable transfer budgets in the first window and avoid offering what you consider deadwood without giving them a chance.

2.Draw opinion from several people from different backgrounds.
Have as wide a scoring range as possible and avoid just using the 'report card only' option.

3.Avoid stars of recent international tournaments.
Avoid players who's track record is far inferior to their current form.

4.Avoid certain nationalities (e.g. Brazilian, Dutch, England internationals) as they are overpriced.
Top Irish regens, for example, can be picked up for £100k compared to the same quality of English that would cost tenfold that.

5.Buy players in their early twenties; older players are overvalued and youngsters aren’t fully developed.
Buy players who will slot into your first team and let other clubs do the hard work and break them in.

6.Sell a player either before buyers see deterioration in his game or when a club offers more than he’s worth.
Wenger is a master of this. If your top goal scorer is nearing 30 and someone offers £20 million, think who could you sign for less? Stall the bid and select a target.

7.Replace your best players before selling.
Like I said in #6 don't sell your top goalscorer unless you have someone ready to step up or have a transfer near complete.

8.Try to avoid buying strikers because they are overpriced.
Bring them in about 22 when they are breaking into the first team and blend them into you're squad. In FM a good goalkeeper is worth his weight in gold. Usually you can find a few bargains who have been picked up by big clubs but are not playing.

9.Buy players with personal problems , then help them deal with their issues.
Buy players who are unhappy at the current club and want to be transfer listed also players who might be home sick etc.

10.Help new players relocate.
Go for players who speak the local language or have friends in the squad.

Recommended teams: Rangers, Hearts, Portsmouth, Deportivo Alves, Hoffenheim, Aston Villa.

Additional Extras:
1. Start as a MLS club.
2. Choose a club run by Americans.
3. Hire Damien Comolli as DoF.
Ice Man
17 years ago
3 hours ago
Really like this idea of a challenge but I am wondering how applicable the rules are to football manager. Maybe you could redo the list but put it into specific football manager rules?

Hope this makes sense
SR67
12 years ago
2 months ago
Really like this idea of a challenge but I am wondering how applicable the rules are to football manager. Maybe you could redo the list but put it into specific football manager rules?

Hope this makes sense

Just done a quick bit mate, will redo it in the next few days and add a few screen shots etc.
mr.SPANKY
17 years ago
9 months ago
Nice idea mate, definitely something I will have a go at. Might post up a story but this is the first FM I have sucked at in years so don't know how long I will stick with the save lol.

As a suggestion, number 9, buy players with personal problems. I see it in FM as just buying players who are unhappy at the current club and want to be transfer listed also players who might be home sick etc etc.
SR67
12 years ago
2 months ago
Nice idea mate, definitely something I will have a go at. Might post up a story but this is the first FM I have sucked at in years so don't know how long I will stick with the save lol.

As a suggestion, number 9, buy players with personal problems. I see it in FM as just buying players who are unhappy at the current club and want to be transfer listed also players who might be home sick etc etc.

Cheers man. I'm thinking of giving it a go with Portsmouth or Wolves or even do the 'Hero' challenge alongside.

Yeah it seem simple now that you've said it haha. I've put it in cheers .
mr.SPANKY
17 years ago
9 months ago
I started with Villa last night. I've actually used this challenge to take a closer look at attributes and what specific positions and roles players can play instead of say having 2 right backs and having them both play a full back support role because that would be the balanced approach. My pre season friendlies went really well including a 4-0 demolition of Boca.

However I have to start again because I forgot to disable the editor file with my created team in it. Kind of ruins the game when all these superstar under 20 players are running around in league 2 lol.

I disabled first window transfer budgets and have set my scout team to work on UK and Ireland and Scandinavia as that is where they are most knowledgeable.
Cymro
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
Fantastic idea! Love it.

To add more of a challenge in ... only manage a club owned / run by an American (Chairman / Owner nationality is from USA) or start of in the MLS as it sort of replicates the MLB.

Also hire Damien Comolli as DoF. Beane has said he's the closest guy in football to himself.
SR67
12 years ago
2 months ago
Fantastic idea! Love it.

To add more of a challenge in ... only manage a club owned / run by an American (Chairman / Owner nationality is from USA) or start of in the MLS as it sort of replicates the MLB.

Also hire Damien Comolli as DoF. Beane has said he's the closest guy in football to himself.

Didn't even think of the MLS mate, I'll add it into the into the opening post.
Ice Man
17 years ago
3 hours ago
Going to try and give this a go in the MLS but straight away i'm 99% sure that Comolli won't want to move to any MLS team.
SR67
12 years ago
2 months ago
The thing about using a DoF is you're not really in full control of the transfers
Cymro
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
Going to try and give this a go in the MLS but straight away i'm 99% sure that Comolli won't want to move to any MLS team.

Aye Comolli won't join unless you can offer silly wages.

Doesn't matter though, was just a thing if you can get him just adds to what Soccernomics says.

I'm going to venture in the MLS, probably with DC United or San Jose Earthquakes.

You'll need to Login to comment