.verse
12 years ago
3 months ago
As Football Manager has developed over the years so has the tactical aspect of the game. We all know that there is a huge emphasis placed upon finding that tactic which blends together the perfect mix of defence and attack, with the ultimate reward of sustained success. However, how does everyone like to go about it?

Do you merely set up a single tactic that you aim to stick with home and away- with minor adjustments being made on a game-by-game basis? Or do you go down the path of a series of pre-made tactics for particular match day situations instead?

Discuss.

I'm curious to see the thoughts of others.
Footygamer
17 years ago
2 days ago
I normally wind up with 2 or 3, but when I first start a new career/new team I stick to getting one just right.

I think you need at least two, one counter attacking and one all out attacking, if you go to Man City counter attacking will work, but if you go to a weaker team that won't come at you, you'll wind up with alot of possession and not the right movement to make anything happen and wound up getting countered yourself.

Knowing whether or not you're the favourites going into a game makes a huge difference I think and I always make sure to check the betting odds before hand and apply the appropriate mentality, knowing that the opposition manager will probably be basing his mentality on those same expectations/predictions.

It also depends on the players available, I like 3 at the back with either 2 wingers or 2 full backs, but that won't always work, so i'll try and have an alternative 4-4-2 as well, it seems to be the most stable to switch to when you can't get hold of a game or are holding on to a lead.

So that will normally be my 3, one attacking, one counter attacking and a 4-4-2.
Dave Lotts
10 years ago
9 years ago
I usually end up with 3 tactics, but I also think it's very dependent on what team you are, if I'm a big team, I usually go for an attacking and a control tactic with oddly enough a 4-4-2. Small teams usually attacking, counter and park the bus. I find I can use all 3 in one game as well.
In previous FM's I have used one tactic very successfully but this FM I just cannot get away with it!!
VP.
13 years ago
1 week ago
I'm usually fine making one that works at home but away i just either lose or draw every single match no matter who i am ffs.
Poe
17 years ago
2 weeks ago
i just make 1 and make adjustments as to who im playing.
Hibee
17 years ago
3 years ago
It depends on what team I'm managing, lower league teams I stick to one formation and adjust it to suit the next game. Managing bigger sides with world class teams in the league and a variety of formations in Europe to contend with I often go with two quite different formations and a third which is a slight variation on one of the former e.g using a 4141 or 3511 most of the time but also having a 41221 available.
gaz12321
15 years ago
1 week ago
Depends on the quality of the squad for me, with a world class side I like to think that i am dictating the tactical battle and the smaller side should be the ones tweaking tactics so I just stick to the one that best suits my squad and don;t worry about the opposition. However with an average side I like to have 2 or 3 variants and the capability to comfortably flick between attacking tactics and pressure soaking tactics (plus a park the bus tactic in Spain for the top 2).

My current save as Southampton I mostly use a 4-1-3-1-1 packing out the centre midfield area and allowing my attacking full backs to provide width, but I also have a 4-5-1 formation to counter when an opponent has attacking full backs doubling up with their wingers. On top of this I have a work in progress tactic with 3 centre backs and wing backs, a midfield 4 in a diamond shape and a lone striker.

If I am a lower league side I see little point in venturing beyond a 4-4-2 due to a lack of technical ability.

You'll need to Login to comment