Mister Kolla
13 years ago
2 months ago
Hi

I've had a few saves on the new FM so far and I've noticed a really recurring feature - probably 8/10 goals I conceded are from crosses. To be honest, the most goals I've scored were with my Sochaux side when I had a formation that prioritized attacking down the flanks. I know there were some issues on FM16 (I didn't have that version) on overpowered wing play, are we seeing this issue manifest itself again in the current version, or should I be paying more attention to how I defend out wide?

On that note, what are other players' experiences of this issue? (or maybe non-issue!)

I've tried using defensive full backs, double pivot to drop in and defend from crosses, various combinations of CB roles. I'm finding it difficult to get into the game when it can feel like a straight up competition on number of crosses = most wins.

For context my last game was FM15 which I enjoyed, bar the number of goals each game seemed to result in. Before that it was FM12 which I probably put 2,500 hours into, and I thought the match engine was absolutely great, apart from the issues of not coping with three at the back and the overpowering of three strikers.

Any feedback much appreciated. I'm off to develop a tactic with 9 centre backs and a poacher until someone more tactically intuitive than me comes up with a solution to defending those damned crosses.

Kolla
VP.
13 years ago
4 weeks ago
Generally i know when watching a highlight that if the ball goes out wide i'm 9/10 gonna concede a goal and its been like that for some time on FM. A couple of things you could try are to give your full backs instructions to stay wider and maybe set your team shape to play wider (though you don't wanna effect your own style of play too much) as i do both of these and i find it does help stopping the crosses from coming in as your full back 'should' hopefully be in a position to stop it. But obviously once the ball does arrive in the box there's not much you can do as even the best central defenders seem to struggle with them.
MKDons666
17 years ago
3 months ago
Premium
I'm trying to follow the EPL fashion of 3 at the back at the moment (3-5-2) and on occasion it works a dream others i wonder how it works at all.

Getting the wide balance is difficult because with 3 at the back and playing wingers (not wing backs) and trying to get them to cover it difficult. Giving them defensive tasks or to hold their positive makes them almost pointless players when you counter as they stop at the half way line.

All this meaning that when it gets wide, even with 3 CD in the middle within 5 yards of the opposite striker, they score.

After 22 games with Real Oviedo I've scored 42 conceded 26.

You'll need to Login to comment