Womaz
11 years ago
16 hours ago
Premium
Ok first an apology if this is the wrong place to post this and also an apology for the length of the post.
I have played FM since the very first game so I am guessing that’s over 25 years so I am a definite fanboy. In the past I have struggled to play this game with any success and always got frustrated and added a new manager who made a huge bid for one of my players . Yes I bloody cheated ;-)
However this time I took on Sparta Rotterdam in FM19 and read a lot of guides and watched a lot of videos and I have actually had success, and yes without cheating. I am a happy man .
I started off in the Dutch second division and I am now in about season 9 and I have won the Dutch Eredivise for the last 3 seasons, the last two by a huge margin. I have also won the Europa League once and the Dutch Cup about 3 times.
My success has been built on loan signings mainly from the English Premier League. On occasions I can then pick up these players on a permanent deal at the end of that year or the year after. Although I do think this mainly happens with loans from Italy and Spain.
I have had all of the top jobs offered to me Brazil , England and a few from the likes of Chelsea and Milan, however I turned them all down as I wanted to see how far I could get Sparta.
Although I have played this game for years I think my knowledge of the game is pretty poor and I come on here for ideas and tips.
Firstly I am in season 9 I think and there are so many regens, obviously. One of the things that makes FM so much more realistic for me are the Kit packs , player faces and logos etc.
9 years in and most of my squad don’t have a photo. Is this something I just have to accept. I guess I could update my facepacks to 2010 but I doubt it would make much difference.
So I think I have taken Sparta as far as I can . I am in the CL and have qualified from the group stages on the last 3 occasions but I always get knocked out in the first knock out stage. This has brought a huge increase in the revenue of the club, but also a big increase in the wage bill, however I do manage this quite well I think.
The issue I have now in the CL is I have neglected to sign Dutch players so this year I had to fill my 25 man squad with some very poor U19 and B team players. So I am not expecting this season to be any different. I have been searching for good dutch talent but they are nowhere near the ability of my present players. My squad is now very much based around foreign talent as I forgot about the CL squad rules.
Another thing I struggle with is player development , I seem to sign a player say a 4 star current ability rating and then after a few games his star rating has dropped. Is this the wrong way to judge a player and search for players?
My players don’t seem to improve under me, infact they go backwards. With the influx of CL cash I have been able to recruit some good coaches etc , well as good as I can find, but this makes little difference.
My young players never come through the ranks. When I first started they used to and the first couple of years I brought in a couple of the U19s and they played in the first 11. They then attracted the big clubs and I could not hold on to them. I did however make a huge profit
So I am thinking it may be time to move on to FM20 as it is getting a bit boring as the Dutch league has become too easy to win and the CL seems way out of my reach.
If I go for FM20 can I use my profile I use now as I am a very sought after manager or do I have to start again?
Any tips or guidance would be most welcome as I am now off work and intend to immerse myself in this game 
KEZ_7
17 years ago
1 day ago
Hi @Womaz unfortunately you'll need to start again - your reputation doesn't stay with you save-to-save sadly!
Womaz
11 years ago
16 hours ago
Premium
Can anyone offer any guidance on the other points I have raised ?
I have downloaded the new FM20 face packs and a few of my blank spaces now have a photo so it has helped a little .

You'll need to Login to comment