After much deliberation I finally decided to get hold of FM23. The first thing I set about doing was to repeat my 80s style European Competitions from FM22. Here is last year's link, on the SI forum, with a thorough description of how things came about https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/563004-80s-style-european-competitions/.
So here it is, 1970s and 1980s knockout European football. No group games, just straight on in with the 2 legged cup matches, and the crucial away goal is king of course! So I've removed all the modern day competitions and replaced them with the following:
European Cup - 55 teams (Champions of each country plus the winner of the European Cup to defend their crown). Straight knockout with a Qualifying Round, First Round, Second Round, Quarter Final, Semi Final, and Final.
European Cup Winners' Cup - 54 teams (Domestic FA Cup winner of each country). Straight knockout with a Qualifying Round, First Round, Second Round, Quarter Final, Semi Final, and Final.
UEFA Cup - 120 teams (Best next placed teams in leagues of each nation, ranging from 2 places to 4 places depending on nation's coefficient). Straight knockout with a Qualifying Round, First Round, Second Round, Third Round, Quarter Final, Semi Final, and a 2 legged Final.
European Super Cup - This replicates how it used to be, with the winner of the EC playing the winner of the ECWC.
- I've embraced and accepted the hard coded rule that in the event of a domestic league and cup double, the Cup Winners Cup spot goes to the next place in the league rather than the runner up of the cup. I've got used to this now!
I cannot get the foreign player limit in squad selection rules to work. This would appear to be a bug and I am going to report it as such.FIXED
- As I've lived in the editor for the last 2 weeks I really don't know if you'll hear any Champions League music being played! (Is that an issue??)
- I don't know if the dynamic nation movements actually works. I think it does as in some years a nation that had 3 UEFA spots would sometimes have 4 or vice versa. But it's quite sporadic so not entirely sure if it works as intended.
- There are a few nations that will have a European Playoff. This was mainly designed for qualification for the Europa League, and Conference League. I found it very complicated trying to remove these from nations. I have decided to keep them. Most provide a little entertainment, although Romania becomes a pointless playoff, and Belgium is just bizarre as to what team qualifies.... Load it and see!
- The Club World Championship works in the game, but I have haven't got my head round how teams are picked. To be fair, I have paid no attention to it. The winners of the European Cup are instructed to qualify for it. I have started work on a Club World Cup which will make my understanding alot easier.
- The 3rd Round of the UEFA Cup plays during the 2022 World Cup. It's FIFA's fault. The calendar is bunged so I just left it be. It'll only clash that year.
- I have allowed Russia and Belarus to take part. This is not me condoning the war in Ukraine. I just prefer to see all playable nations being allowed to take part.
- Finally if you want the Dutch Cup to work you must also use the Dutch file I have attached.
So that's it, enjoy it the way proper European football used to be!
You'll need to Login to comment