Outlaw King
16 years ago
1 week ago
Premium
Hi folks,

Started a game as Celtic and things are going great in Europe (in the semi's of Europa League) but domestically I'm struggling....15 points behind Aberdeen with not many games left.

To be fair, they've lost twice all season - which is impressive.

However, I'm having 60-70% possession per game, limiting opposition to 2-3 shots on target, and getting 10-20 shots myself. However, I'm constantly losing 1-0, 2-1, etc.

It's really starting to become a complete joke and I don't know what to do!

I've abandoned my favourite 4-2-3-1 for more conservative 4-3-2-1, 4-5-1 and 4-3-3 formations (all of which are "accomplished" ) and brought in guys like Diarra and Darren Fletcher for extra midfield steel but still cannot figure this out...

Don't get me wrong, last year's FM was way to easy but this is just ridiculous.

Can anyone provide help or advice please?

Thanks
Tyrion Lannister
11 years ago
4 years ago
Banned
hello mate. yes I am a fan of the 4-2-3-1 also. it can be successful but you need the right players.

a great goalie is a must. who have you got?

as for the defence, just keep it simple and have the CD defend and the FB on auto. if you find this is leaking goals, set the FBs to 'defend'. I find an experienced central defender usually keeps things together at the back. preferably a captain type.

your two midfielders are the key here. I generally like a deep lying playmaker paired with a ball winner.

the wingers need to be quick with good crossing and your AMC needs to have plenty of flair and passing.

as for the striker, an advanced forward usually works best. nobody under 6'!

as for your instructions, I set mine to retain poss, exploit the flanks & play wider.

defensive wise I suggest you set instructions to, close down more, get stuck in and higher tempo. if you are totally struggling defence wise then set instructions to drop deeper.

hope this helps
Outlaw King
16 years ago
1 week ago
Premium
Craig Gordon in goals, he's class so that's not my problem.

I always play with a deep lying playmaker and ball winner in the midfield, but with a poacher upfront.

Tactics are pretty much the same, and I've tried dropping deeper as well but to no success.

The thing that gets me is that I can outplay and gub big European teams but against below average SPL teams I struggle

For example, my right back had 99% fitness and was match fit as well, 14 acceleration and 14 pace and is a few yards infront of a Hamilton Accies player who has 12 acceleration and pace yet still gets beaten to the ball and this guy with 11 finishing beats my keeper with ease.

I honestly think it's a glitch !
Tyrion Lannister
11 years ago
4 years ago
Banned
You might want to try being 'assertive' or 'aggressive' and saying, "a team such as ours should be winning this match without any problem at all" when you are facing teams with a lower stature in the pre-match team talk. Also try telling your defenders in the positional team talk 'aggressively', that , "I want you to give me a solid defensive effort out there."

Also try employing more defensive coaches with high 'defending' scores and have them coaching 'defending' only. Set your team training to 'defending' and your match preparation training to 'defensive positioning'

check how much 'concentration' each defender has. if its very low consider replacing him.

I presume your game is fully patched to 15.2? The last couple of patches have supposedly decreased the amount of goals and chances created by wing play.
Outlaw King
16 years ago
1 week ago
Premium
Yeah fully patched. 4/5 star defensive coaching. Replaced the shit defenders but still no joy.

The lack of goals is the biggest worry.

For example, just played Clyde (minnows), 1-1 although they had 2 shots and I had early 20s. Story of my FM life

4-2-3-1...should I play the 3 as WINGER - AM - WINGER or 3 AMs? Also, what should the striker be set to? Used to always play with a poacher and John Guidetti should be able to play the role no bother but far too inconsistent!
Gilberto7176
9 years ago
9 years ago
I am Celtic and I have to say im looking to change start a new game due to certainly them in the league being to easy.

I won the league with 6 games remaining playing a 4-4-2 formation which I created ( thought id try my own tactics and will upload later for people to see) also won the league cup and more surpassingly the Europa league beating zenith 2-1 in the final.

I think the biggest thing with Celtic are the wingers in McGregor and commons both well into double figures goal wise and assists.

signed harry Kane on load from spurs and ryan mason both been brilliant, and also mastour who I have retrained as a MC and now beginning to play really well. save the best until last but John Guidetti is absolutely on fire score 36 goals last season and I the main reason why I edge tight games in the Europa league. all in all I think you need to try and play to Celtics strengths and that's the wings but that's my opinion hope you turn it around
Outlaw King
16 years ago
1 week ago
Premium
Aye, always go Celtic every year to get used to the game and usually storm the league and do well in Europe.

I welcome the challenge but it's every bastarding game in the SPFL that I dominate but end up losing thanks to the oppositions 1 chance....
Poe
17 years ago
3 days ago
What formation best suits your team?

4-4-2, 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1?
Outlaw King
16 years ago
1 week ago
Premium
I've changed to a 4-4-2 diamond and it's working a treat.

I've kept my mentality as standard, team shape flexible and instructions only close down and mark tightly.

Playing with a DLF and poacher upfront and finally getting a good run together!

Unsure if it was my reputation (was regional, now national), not being assertive enough in team talks against smaller teams, switching to defensive prep before the match, or if I was asking too much of my players in the instructions...?

Cheers for your feedback though!
Poe
17 years ago
3 days ago
Maybe, I've found keeping team/player instructions to a minimum when playing teams of a lower quality often helps.
Outlaw King
16 years ago
1 week ago
Premium
I posted that then got pumped by Inverness at home 5-0

More shots, possession, etc.

Fucking game drives me nuts
Poe
17 years ago
3 days ago
I'll be uploading several tactics in the week between Christmas and New Year so watch out for them.

They might help.

You'll need to Login to comment