Aidan_NMW
10 years ago
9 years ago
Hi,

My philosophy is to get men behind the ball and primarily be solid defensively and hit on the counter; I play this home and away and currently sit a point clear at the top of the league. However, my record against the top 5 is poor. Beaten 3-0 off Man Utd, 2-1 off Man City, 0-0 with Newcastle (2nd place), beaten 3-0 by Dortmund then 0-0, 1-1 with Marseille, 0-0 with FC Kobenhavn; we just can't perform in the big games (all away from home apart from Newcastle game and Dortmund 0-0).

I'm looking for some help.

I set out "Fluid" and "Counter" then go "Defensive" if we score. I play 4-2-3-1 with two DMs and two wingers.
Czech (goalkeeper defend), Azpilicueta and Cole (fullback automatic), Luiz and Terry (cover and stopper), Matic and Ramires (anchorman and defensive midfielder support), Hazard on the left (inside forward support), Oscar (attacking midfielder support), Willian on the right (advanced playmaker or defensive winger support), and Mandzukic up top as (defensive forward support).

Instructions: more direct passing, work ball into box, look for overlap, drop much deeper, much higher tempo, more disciplined, tighter marking, stay on feet, hassle opponents, play narrower, run at defence.

Even at home, where I am unbeaten, my 3 attacking midfielders have been largely ineffective. Oscar has 2 PL goals, Willian has 2 PL goals, Hazard has one and 7 assists. Mandzukic has 10 PL goals and I reckon 7 or 8 have been headers, mainly via set pieces.

Any help is appreciated, I have SLB in the first knockout round and need to get the defensive tactic right for the away leg. Additionally, if I beat Utd it's a big step towards the title.

Cheers,
Aidan
Aidan_NMW
10 years ago
9 years ago
I play fluid so that everyone defends. If we went rigid I'd have my forward players more likely staying forward and less counter attacking from my defenders and that's not my philosophy. Rigid isn't really an option.
Aidan_NMW
10 years ago
9 years ago
KEZ_7
17 years ago
3 days ago
Odd, you seem to be the exact opposite of myself as it's the big teams I can't beat!

I would suggest playing the 'counter' style against them as you seem to already. I don't often go defensive until late in the game as if you stay on counter you may get the chance for an extra goal (making it more comfortable) while the other team get at you

Fluid is okay but if you want to hold out defensively try going balanced or even rigid as it means players will stick to where they should be and should shore up the back line and defensive-minded midfielders
Poe
17 years ago
3 days ago
Try attacking, it's not as adventurous as people think and it's still very defensively sound.

Attacking-fluid is what I normally play.
K3V0
15 years ago
1 year ago
Most of those results were away from home as you've said so it's not super surprising to me especially if it's in your first season when team talks aren't as effective with top players like those you'd have at Chelsea. There probably isn't all that much wrong with your tactic if you're top of the table, maybe those games against the bigger sides aren't quite going your way at the moment.

You'll need to Login to comment