Cammy Anderson
9 years ago
4 months ago
Premium
It happens to all of us - perhaps not, most likely not, probably just me - finances spiral out of control and you can't seem to figure out how you've lost money given you've still got plenty transfer and wage budget. It always cripples my saves

Can anyone give me money saving tips to avoid ending up fucked come Christmas time! I know come end of season your league money etc helps massively but then the problem just seems to happen year on year.

Any tips would be much appreciated
mr.SPANKY
17 years ago
9 months ago
Clauses in transfers and contracts can cripple you so try to eliminate as many of those as you can.
Chera
16 years ago
3 years ago
I'm usually really tight with my money. I hate paying over average transfer fees and hate paying biggish wages or even average wages for a player who is just backup. I like buying players on frees even if I don't need them as I then try selling them on to generate profit.
Sheriff Skacel
9 years ago
1 month ago
Premium
What league are you in? This will dictate as to how best make money and save money for you, here are some general tips;

1. Keep the wages under control, don't splash out willy nilly, pointless bringing in players on obscene money to just sit on the bench
2. Be wary of contract clauses (10% yearly wage rises, appearance fees, signing on fees, etc)
3. Spread your transfer fees out over 48 month, make use of extra clauses like arranging friendlies and payments after X amount of games played
4. Sell players if clubs are interested, my general rule of thumb is anything above 1.5x the players value, unless I feel like I can make a lot more off him. One step backwards to take one forwards. Selling players is the best way to make money outside of TV money in Europe
5. Arrange money spinning friendlies in pre-season
6. Keep staff wages under control, again don't just go splashing out for the sake of it. Put some actual thought into all contract negotiations
7. Cancel any feeder clubs deals that provide no value
8. When signing players avoid giving them (or their clubs) a cut of any future transfer fee, this is just lost money for you

Again, more info on your club will help. The main two expenses are transfer fees and player wages, get those under control and you'll control the expenditure. To boost the income you need to look to sell players and get into Europe / continental competition. I never, ever have any trouble with money anymore as my whole transfer strategy revolves around signing players under the age of 25 and selling them after 2-4 seasons for a big profit.

I always keep an eye on player contracts too, when a player is coming to within 18 months of his deal expiring I enter negotiations, if his wages are above what I am willing to offer I usually sell him before the next season starts.
Cammy Anderson
9 years ago
4 months ago
Premium
I'm Palermo Sheriff Skacel, on the LFC Marshall update so I had plenty money to spend with Dybala being sold. I started with €13m and 50k wages to spare I think.

I'm in desperate need of a striker and have outlined a few targets but I'm really struggling to sign them, even the wonder kids who you see people sign for pennies!

I've got quite a bit squad with many players in the same position and the same age so with a little comparing I've listed all those who won't feature.

I never do 2, I've known all along that fucks me over, I usually do 8 as I never usually get that far into a save before money becomes a problem so it's a quick way to get who I want.

Thank you for your help!
Sheriff Skacel
9 years ago
1 month ago
Premium
I too am managing Palermo (but in 2050 odd). I've been fine with money due to my income from the CL and also the fact I've been buying players young and selling them at profits. This season I sold one player at a £25m profit and another at a £42m profit, yes my team aren't doing as well this year (finished 3rd last year, currently 6th after 25 games but only 2 points behind 4th), but ultimately its been worth it I'd say as the squad has some great young talent.

Lower your expectations a little on the ST hunt I'd say, turning a profit won't happen overnight, it can take 3-5 seasons to get a club really stable. And even then it becomes a balancing act as inevitably player wage demands rocket. My wage bill has gone up by about £120k a week this season compared to last as I want to win Serie A soon (still only the 12th highest in the league mind you).

I have £100m to spend still and over 100k left in wage budget too thanks to me selling my players, I don't really want to burn into that as things become too easy.
Cammy Anderson
9 years ago
4 months ago
Premium
Christ almighty, how have you managed to stick with it that long?!

I ended up settling for Origi on loan and E Hamdaoui as back up. I agreed to sign Embolo from Basel for cheap using your method of spreading fees over 48months but his agent was a greedy dick and Demanded too much agent fee.

I guess as seasons go by I'll make more money so it won't make a difference going up a little but I've got youth players and the wonder kids for example wanting 30/40k a week and they're only on pennies!!
Sheriff Skacel
9 years ago
1 month ago
Premium
Spent the bulk of it in Iceland till about 2041, since then I've managed Toronto, Corinthians and Palermo. FM is the ultimate time killer.

Its a pain in the arse losing out on your main targets, I suppose it does depend on your playing style. I'm happy enough to stay with a club for 5, 10, 15 year, however long I'm interested in it for. So I can stay and build. If you want instant success though you'll always lose money until you start pulling in the big money from going deep in the Champions League.
Cammy Anderson
9 years ago
4 months ago
Premium
Ah right, my longest save was 10 years in Gibraltar before it corrupted. I was loving it, how you've kept that long I'll never know!

I hate leaving a club as I hate seeing what I've attempted to do destroyed / needing to restart at a new club as it's hard enough to get a tactic in the first place - I'm bad at wanting instant success

You'll need to Login to comment