Marc.
17 years ago
1 week ago
Premium
So, after retiring from football, the former Leeds, Stevenage and USMNT player has revealed he's gay.

Sad that he's left it until he's retired and at the age of 25 too, so much more he could have done in his career - he's letting the draconian bigots that still inhabit football win in my opinion.

My question to you is, would it bother anyof you, as football fans or as a person if a player or players at your club were gay?
bluemoon.
17 years ago
3 months ago
Premium
It wouldn't bother me at all.

Good that he's come out, hopefully it can be the start of something. Hopefully it's more of a break than a retirement too. 25 is too young to quit for good.
VP.
13 years ago
1 month ago
Maybe he's retired because his career was going down hill?

Plus i fail to see how being a footballer has stopped him from coming out, that's his choice no one else's.
bluemoon.
17 years ago
3 months ago
Premium
By A Little Bit Of Merson Magic | Permalink | On 15 February 2013 - 18:55 PM
Plus i fail to see how being a footballer has stopped him from coming out, that's his choice no one else's.

Nobody said otherwise.

But it's quite obvious why he would be reluctant to come out whilst he was still playing.
RhylFCKiko
12 years ago
2 months ago
I'd support a player more for overcoming a mental barrier like that. Good on him for taking the step to come out.
VP.
13 years ago
1 month ago
By duckeggmoon | Permalink | On 15 February 2013 - 18:58 PM
Nobody said otherwise.

But it's quite obvious why he would be reluctant to come out whilst he was still playing.

Why then, he's hardly done the gay community any favours by coming out straight after retiring has he? Its not exactly gonna be the catalyst for all gay footballers to feel they can now tell the truth about their sexuality, if the first person since Fashanu can only do it once he's retired.

I honestly fail to see any need for him to make such a big thing about when its no different from any other Tom, Dick or Harry telling us they're gay. Unless its just to get his name in the media as i'd imagine most people have never heard of him until now anyway.

Person 1 - OMG, Robbie Rodgers is gay

Person 2 - Who?

Person 1 - Fuck know's
bluemoon.
17 years ago
3 months ago
Premium
The point is that there are no current/recent players openly gay (apart from that guy in the Swedish 3rd tier) and whilst Rogers isn't a big-name, he's fairly well known. If he can come out, and not have his career suffer for it, it would demonstrate to both fans and players alike that the football world as a whole is willing and able to accept gay people.

As it is, it shouldn't be a big deal but sadly it is. Gay players are afraid of coming out - or even just being open about their sexuality - for fear that their career and general life would suffer. The sooner we get some high-profile, well regarded (i.e. not players like Luis Suarez) by t gay players the sooner we can truly consign player's sexuality to the irrelevant.
Sam
17 years ago
1 year ago
Good on him I say, it wouldn't bother me at all.

I couldn't care less about somebody's sexuality, it's their own business and if they want to be open about it, it's up to them and good on them.

But as duckeggmoon said it shouldn't be a big deal, but sadly it is.
smurphptfc
12 years ago
10 years ago
Robbie Rogers is a gay name anyway.
Dutton
17 years ago
2 months ago
By A Little Bit Of Merson Magic | Permalink | On 15 February 2013 - 19:06 PM
Why then, he's hardly done the gay community any favours by coming out straight after retiring has he? Its not exactly gonna be the catalyst for all gay footballers to feel they can now tell the truth about their sexuality, if the first person since Fashanu can only do it once he's retired.

I honestly fail to see any need for him to make such a big thing about when its no different from any other Tom, Dick or Harry telling us they're gay. Unless its just to get his name in the media as i'd imagine most people have never heard of him until now anyway.

Person 2 - Who?

Person 1 - Fuck know's

You're such a cynical cunt, what's wrong with you? Can you really not see why he would be terrified of coming out whilst being a professional footballer? What he would be thinking his team mates would say/think, the abuse he would get at football matches, whether he would get treated differently by fellow professionals.

Just because you don't give a shit about him and he's not a big name doesn't mean it's not a big thing for him. By coming out other gay footballers may realise they are not the only ones, and any young gay people wondering if that would hold them back from having a decently successful career in football would definitely be encouraged by it.
terriersmad
16 years ago
3 years ago
That he feels he has to retire from football because of coming out - or that he can only come out because he's retired - is a sad indictment of the homophobia still in football. Play Brighton and you'll see it every time - the fools coming out of the woodwork who think that saying and/or singing something crass and offensive is all right because it's in the name of 'banter', when all it does is puts pressure on people, stigmatises people, and shows the bigotry and idiocy of far too many people to a wide audience.

Best of luck to the lad for his future. Hope he finds happiness in whatever he does.
Shola
16 years ago
5 years ago
A great day for football. Hopefully. I hope he doesn't stay retired for too long. And makes a comeback.
Telegram Sam
15 years ago
2 hours ago
Premium
By A Little Bit Of Merson Magic | Permalink | On 15 February 2013 - 19:06 PM

Person 2 - Who?

Person 1 - Fuck know's

Who the fuck are you to judge? He doesn't owe the gay community anything, and chose to retire before coming out because he felt that it would better for his career to not make it public knowledge whilst he was playing. That's a perfectly understandable decision given the level of abuse he would have received from some supporters. It's easy to say from your point of view that he should have announced that he is openly gay whilst he was still playing as it would have had more of an effect, but it's incredibly ignorant and misguided to somehow hold that against him.

The level of cynicism you express from time to time truly is depressing.
Poe
17 years ago
3 days ago
Has he confirmed that the reason he's retired is that he's a willywoofter or is it due to injury or what?
VP.
13 years ago
1 month ago
By Dutton | Permalink | On 15 February 2013 - 23:08 PM
You're such a cynical cunt, what's wrong with you? Can you really not see why he would be terrified of coming out whilst being a professional footballer? What he would be thinking his team mates would say/think, the abuse he would get at football matches, whether he would get treated differently by fellow professionals.

Just because you don't give a shit about him and he's not a big name doesn't mean it's not a big thing for him. By coming out other gay footballers may realise they are not the only ones, and any young gay people wondering if that would hold them back from having a decently successful career in football would definitely be encouraged by it.

I could maybe understand if it was 1993, but not in 2013.

And just to confirm, i believe he had already retired from football, so its not really gonna make any difference to how a gay footballer may feel, as i've already said.
Dutton
17 years ago
2 months ago
And I already knew that, doesn't change anything that I said.
VP.
13 years ago
1 month ago
By Telegram Sam | Permalink | On 16 February 2013 - 03:01 AM
Who the fuck are you to judge? He doesn't owe the gay community anything, and chose to retire before coming out because he felt that it would better for his career to not make it public knowledge whilst he was playing. That's a perfectly understandable decision given the level of abuse he would have received from some supporters. It's easy to say from your point of view that he should have announced that he is openly gay whilst he was still playing as it would have had more of an effect, but it's incredibly ignorant and misguided to somehow hold that against him.

The level of cynicism you express from time to time truly is depressing.

Look at his career, i think that was already on its way out which i've already said is probably the main reason he retired in the first place. The publicity of being gay may have even helped it tbh.

I don't hold anything against him ffs, but, actually fuck it, i've said why i don't see why its such a big deal.

Just because i choose to look at things in a different way to most of you lot, doesn't make my views any less important. In fact, if we all sat there agreeing on everything it'll be a fucking boring place.

And going back to the original post asking if people would mind having a gay team mate, what kind of fucking question is that? Of course no one would give a shit, and if they did it would be a tiny minority anyway and they certainly wouldn't admit to it on here. There will always be someone that doesn't like somebody because of their skin colour, race or sexuality etc. For me these kind of issue's are only a big deal because people make them into one. Someone who use to play football is gay, so fucking what?
VP.
13 years ago
1 month ago
By Dutton | Permalink | On 16 February 2013 - 11:21 AM
And I already knew that, doesn't change anything that I said.

I wasn't trying to change anything you said?
Dutton
17 years ago
2 months ago
I know, I just couldn't be arsed repeating the same points again.
Slashman X
17 years ago
5 months ago
Premium
By Poe | Permalink | On 16 February 2013 - 04:43 AM
Has he confirmed that the reason he's retired is that he's a willywoofter or is it due to injury or what?

Wants to focus on being a fashion designer
VP.
13 years ago
1 month ago
By Slashman X | Permalink | On 16 February 2013 - 12:13 PM
Wants to focus on being a fashion designer

So my point about his football career being finished anyway is kind of correct?
Hammer100
17 years ago
7 years ago
Well done to him, hopefully it will encourage anyone else who is feeling the same to at least have the courage to "come out" (I despise that phrase for some reason...)

Still think there will be some homophobic and bigoted people out there who will target him if he returns to football however.
Flash.
17 years ago
10 months ago
Premium
By A Little Bit Of Merson Magic | Permalink | On 16 February 2013 - 12:18 PM
So my point about his football career being finished anyway is kind of correct?

Fucking hell.
JCash3000
11 years ago
10 years ago
When does Arshavin come out? He´s got fashion listed as his hobby as well.
Telegram Sam
15 years ago
2 hours ago
Premium
By JCash3000 | Permalink | On 18 February 2013 - 08:24 AM
When does Arshavin come out? He´s got fashion listed as his hobby as well.

He's been married for ten years and has two kids.
Flash.
17 years ago
10 months ago
Premium
So, quite soon then?
Telegram Sam
15 years ago
2 hours ago
Premium
JCash3000
11 years ago
10 years ago
Yeah just like Lahm.
Phoenix Arrow
15 years ago
1 year ago
By A Little Bit Of Merson Magic | Permalink | On 15 February 2013 - 18:55 PM

Then you honestly don't have a clue.
It might sounds like I'm being angry when I say that, I'm not. It's a very strange thing. I've obviously grown up with the people closest to me being gay or trans or whatever and when you're in that world, it can be quite hard to see what everyone else thinks. As such when I came out as being bi at school, I didn't think it was a big deal at all, everyone else disagreed with that.
Homophobia is something that's hard baked into society. It tends to go completely unnoticed until it becomes and issue. But when it does become an issue, it's often too late to do anything about it. Football is the worst for that kind of thing. No ifs or buts. It just is. Stuff like that just doesn't get reported in the same was racism does because basically noone cares. Or noone in football cares.

You'll need to Login to comment