scottpratt
16 years ago
2 years ago
Hi Guys, I have a brand new laptop, it is a 8gb laptop and also has an i7 processor etc but i keep getting a message popping up saying Low Memory System error please close what your doing and free up some memory, this is mad as ive plenty ram, i also ran the memory diagonistics but it says i have NO memory problems, what can i do to rectify this problem please.
Franck
17 years ago
3 weeks ago
In which situations do you get the error message?
Deleted Account #151676
Is it Windows telling you your low on RAM or some tune-up software? If it's a third party thing it could be trying to sell you it's latest tune up utility.
scottpratt
16 years ago
2 years ago
Windows 8.1 x64 - Low memory while playing full screen games
Hello, I've been facing a "tough" problem with my computer running Windows 8.1 x64. I did not upgrade from Windows 8, I did a clean install and for the past month, everytime I play some of the new 2013 games (Assassin's Creed Black Flag, Battlefield 4, CoD:Ghosts etc.), I'm constantly getting a "low memory" warning from time to time.

So, giving that my laptop is capable of running these games (Asus N56VZ - Intel Core i7, Intel HD 4000 + Nvidia GT650 M, 6GB DDR3, 750GB 7200rpm, Full-HD 15,6" screen), I began searching for an answer. Here's what I've concluded:

When the game (eg: Battlefield 4) opens, the memory consumption begins to rise, and rise, and rise, non stop, until the system doesn't have more memory available and triggers the low memory warning. However, in the exact moment that I "alt+tab" out of game OR the memory warning does it for me, all of the occupied memory is emptied instantly, like magic!

I was able to "understand" this using Process Explorer by MS (sysinternals), heres a screenshot that shows the "climbing" and the sudden drops:
http://prntscr.com/2809xc

I cant really discover where all this memory is being allocated/used, and I have no idea on whats causing this. I also don't know if this is Windows-related, device-related or driver-related.

Is anyone facing this as well?

[UPDATE DECEMBER 9th]
This issue is triggered when the resolution in which the games are being played differs from the resolution configured on Windows.
If you are playing a game, say, in 1366x768, you need to change the system resolution to the same 1366x768 BEFORE opening the game. That will stop the excessive memory consumption and you'll be able to play the game fine.

My system is in Portuguese, but I think it's easy to get it:
ImageImage

This also concludes that the issue is Windows-related and not driver related, so we'll have to wait for Microsoft to patch it. Meanwhile, remember to change your resolution when you're going to play.

[UPDATE APRIL 26th 2014]

According to some Intel folks at communities.intel.com (http://is.gd/71Vha2), Microsoft has confirmed the issue with Windows 8.1 in an internal email. It resides - as it was explained - on the DWM (Desktop Window Manager) which triggers a memory leak when running fullscreen games with a resolution different than the desktop resolution.

The memory leak fills the system memory and page file with junk until there's no more memory available.

We assume Microsoft is already working on a fix for this, altough we never heard anything "official" from them regarding the issue.
Ninja
14 years ago
6 years ago
I'm such a dickhead!
scottpratt
16 years ago
2 years ago
Ive sorted my problem now, thanks for all the replies guys
Ninja
14 years ago
6 years ago
Fuck you, I presume, Franck.
Franck
17 years ago
3 weeks ago
Nope, not me.

Deserved though, if I remember the post right.
Carroll.
15 years ago
3 years ago
I downloaded some RAM, thanks Ninja.
Ninja
14 years ago
6 years ago
I downloaded some RAM, thanks Ninja.

No worries, my computer's been running so quickly since I downloaded 10 lots of the 4GB pack.
Obtuse
15 years ago
3 years ago
That model isn't very good for the newer games. The reason your RAM is spiking is because the system is trying to compensate for the strain.

You'll need to Login to comment