K3V0
15 years ago
1 year ago
Anybody going to be watching this?

I'd be surprised if Australia didn't win it on home soil, although India or New Zealand could ruin the party.

Hopefully get to the Australia v Bangladesh and Ireland v UAE in Brisbane at the Gabba.
Ninja
14 years ago
6 years ago
Don't know how many games i'll get to watch, but I'll definitely be following.

Not actually going to get interesting till the quarters anyway.
mr.SPANKY
17 years ago
9 months ago
The Zimbabwe v South Africa game was surprisingly good. Zimbabwe would win a lot of games with that score just they fucked up and conceded something like 14 runs an over in the last 10 overs after having South Africa 4 for nothing.

Windies v Ireland on now.
K3V0
15 years ago
1 year ago
Ireland beat the West Indies
mr.SPANKY
17 years ago
9 months ago
Holy effing shit balls, what a finish to the SA - NZ game. SA still can't shake the chokers tag.
RooP*
11 years ago
5 months ago
This is what cricket is all about (Hope this is one of the comments in FM press conferences if you replace cricket with Football)... Two equally matched teams and game played to the spirit of it.. No sledging... No Mind games...Sheer cricket... Thanks NZ and SA for such wonderful game....
Carroll.
15 years ago
3 years ago
How come NZ had to get 298, rather than 281 that SA got? They would have played the same amount of overs so why did they need to get a higher score?
K3V0
15 years ago
1 year ago
Duckworth Lewis system from what I've read online
Ninja
14 years ago
6 years ago
How come NZ had to get 298, rather than 281 that SA got? They would have played the same amount of overs so why did they need to get a higher score?

The assumption is that had SA known they'd have had 43 overs only to bat they would have timed their innings differently and
accelerated earlier.

The target that NZ were set was equivalent to 347 over 50 overs which, if anything, was favourable to NZ. With SA's batting line up 216-3 could have very easily become 400ish.
K3V0
15 years ago
1 year ago
How do you lads think the Australia v India semi will go on Thursday?

Very tricky fixture for Australia, they're expected to win and the pressure is on them. If their top order falter the Indian's will stand a really big chance of knocking them out I reckon. Looks like a very good game, can't wait.
mr.SPANKY
17 years ago
9 months ago
I really do despise the D/L method. It's basically trying to predict the future. Oh SA missed out on 7 overs and had 6 batsman left over so let's give them more runs, wait hold on what if NZ were to take 4 wickets in 6 balls?
RooP*
11 years ago
5 months ago
Regarding AUS vs IND fixture, one who wins the pressure gonna win tomorrow...This is clearly seen from SA vs NZ match. Its the pressure that made SA miss so many catches and runouts in the game. This is not what we expect from a size which is well known for its fielding. So SA crumbled to pressure.

Same will be the case with AUS vs IND match... Get some runs on board, take early wickets... push the opposition into pressure and bingo...

As Indian will always want India to win... #we wont give it back...

Come on India...
Ninja
14 years ago
6 years ago
I really do despise the D/L method. It's basically trying to predict the future. Oh SA missed out on 7 overs and had 6 batsman left over so let's give them more runs, wait hold on what if NZ were to take 4 wickets in 6 balls?

It's just about the only fair method anyones ever come up with.

The problem with not trying to 'predict the future' (or rather, using a statistical analysis from every completed ODI to work out what a team in that position would have most likely scored without a rain delay) is that it massively advantages the team batting second.

It obviously isn't perfect and doesn't compare to a completed match, but its something. The previous rain delay calculators were farcical in comparison.
Shola
16 years ago
5 years ago
Amazing cricketers refuse to play in the rain.

#GiveFootballersCricketersWages
Franck
17 years ago
3 weeks ago
If I want to learn about the sport of cricket, it's basic rules and whatnot, where'd be a good place to start?
Flash.
17 years ago
10 months ago
Premium
Don't.

I did that a couple weeks ago so that I understood the world cup, but it's boring as fuck even when you know what's going on.
Ninja
14 years ago
6 years ago
If I want to learn about the sport of cricket, it's basic rules and whatnot, where'd be a good place to start?

At its basic level its not that difficult. The version of cricket we're talking about at the minute is One Day cricket where each team has a maximum of 50 overs to bat. An 'over' is a set of 6 balls ('pitches' if you're used to baseball terminology) bowled by one bowler. After that they swap and another bowler bowls another set of 6 balls from the other end.

One team bats in pairs of two and the other team fields. Once the fielding team has taken all of the batting teams wickets (got the 10 batsmen out) or they have bowled the 50 overs they swap over and they try and chase down the score the first team got.

For the batsman to score runs (points) you have to hit the ball, after that the batsmen either physically run between the wicket and you get one run for each time you run from one end to the other or you hit the ball over the rope around the edge of the ground. If it bounces before it goes over the rope its worth 4 runs, if it doesn't bounce its worth 6.

The three most common ways for a batsman to get out are to be caught, bowled, and out Leg Before Wicket. Caught is self explanatory, bowled means that the batsman bowls the ball and it hits the wicket (three stumps with bails on top) that the batsman is defending.

Leg Before wicket is the most complicated, but essentially if the bowler bowls a ball that would go on to hit the stumps and the batsman stops it from hitting them using any part of his body (but most commonly his leg) then he is out.

You can also be out run out (when attempting a run), stumped, hit wicket, for hitting the ball twice, handling the ball, and obstructing the field. The last 4 are fairly uncommon though.

There's more to it than that, some of the terminology is confusing, and some of the rules no one knows, but that should be enough to understand whats happening 90% of the time.
ianbaker
12 years ago
7 years ago
At its basic level its not that difficult. The version of cricket we're talking about at the minute is One Day cricket where each team has a maximum of 50 overs to bat. An 'over' is a set of 6 balls ('pitches' if you're used to baseball terminology) bowled by one bowler. After that they swap and another bowler bowls another set of 6 balls from the other end.

One team bats in pairs of two and the other team fields. Once the fielding team has taken all of the batting teams wickets (got the 10 batsmen out) or they have bowled the 50 overs they swap over and they try and chase down the score the first team got.

For the batsman to score runs (points) you have to hit the ball, after that the batsmen either physically run between the wicket and you get one run for each time you run from one end to the other or you hit the ball over the rope around the edge of the ground. If it bounces before it goes over the rope its worth 4 runs, if it doesn't bounce its worth 6.

The three most common ways for a batsman to get out are to be caught, bowled, and out Leg Before Wicket. Caught is self explanatory, bowled means that the batsman bowls the ball and it hits the wicket (three stumps with bails on top) that the batsman is defending.

Leg Before wicket is the most complicated, but essentially if the bowler bowls a ball that would go on to hit the stumps and the batsman stops it from hitting them using any part of his body (but most commonly his leg) then he is out.

You can also be out run out (when attempting a run), stumped, hit wicket, for hitting the ball twice, handling the ball, and obstructing the field. The last 4 are fairly uncommon though.

There's more to it than that, some of the terminology is confusing, and some of the rules no one knows, but that should be enough to understand whats happening 90% of the time.

Pairs of two? As opposed to pairs of 3 or 4?

Also, did you see Guptill's big innings the other day? Near the start he chopped one down that may have gone on to hit his wicket after it bounced between him and his stumps. He knocked it away with the back of his bat, how is this not out according to the hitting the ball twice rule? I play(ed) cricket and have watched cricket all my life and still dont get it.
Ninja
14 years ago
6 years ago
Pairs of two? As opposed to pairs of 3 or 4?

Also, did you see Guptill's big innings the other day? Near the start he chopped one down that may have gone on to hit his wicket after it bounced between him and his stumps. He knocked it away with the back of his bat, how is this not out according to the hitting the ball twice rule? I play(ed) cricket and have watched cricket all my life and still dont get it.

If the ball is rolling towards the stumps you can knock it away with your foot or the bat as long as the stroke isn't aggressive:

3. Ball lawfully struck more than once
Solely in order to guard his wicket and before the ball has been touched by a fielder, the striker may lawfully strike the ball more than once with his bat or with any part of his person other than a hand not holding the bat.
Notwithstanding this provision, the striker may not prevent the ball from being caught by making more than one stroke in defence of his wicket.
Carroll.
15 years ago
3 years ago
Random question, if the batsman plays a defensive shot for example, so angles the bad downwards towards the ground, the ball hits the bat, hits the floor and hits the bat again, what happens?
RooP*
11 years ago
5 months ago
Nothing...He just defended the ball.
Ninja
14 years ago
6 years ago
Random question, if the batsman plays a defensive shot for example, so angles the bad downwards towards the ground, the ball hits the bat, hits the floor and hits the bat again, what happens?

Double hits have to be deliberate, so nothing.
mr.SPANKY
17 years ago
9 months ago
I once had the distinction of being given out LBW as the ball rolled off my pad and took the bails down, scorers weren't sure what to put down as the fall of wicket but I'm quite proudly the only one I know of in my district to have that happen to lol

You'll need to Login to comment