Telegram Sam
15 years ago
10 hours ago
Premium
I've come across a site that documents many quotes from the Bible that you may or may not have come across. Boggles the mind how some people pick and choose which scriptures to adhere to whilst quietly ignoring some of the atrocities encouraged in this book.

Here's a few quotes directly advocating rape and murder. Enjoy.

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel.
- Deuteronomy 17:12

If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives.
- Leviticus 20:13

A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death.
- Leviticus 20:27

A priest's daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death.
- Leviticus 21:9

Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword. Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes. Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes. For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off. The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows. They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children.
- Isaiah 13:15-18

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.
- Deuteronomy 22:28-29

Madness.
Jamieandhisego
17 years ago
1 year ago
I'm an atheist, but Christians tend to focus on the teachings of Jesus and implicitly reject any moral authority from the Old Testament.
bluemoon.
17 years ago
3 months ago
Premium
The Platypus
13 years ago
1 year ago
By duckeggmoon | Permalink | On 12 October 2012 - 01:22 AM
No shit.
Telegram Sam
15 years ago
10 hours ago
Premium
Alright, fair enough. I knew it as well but hadn't actually bothered to read some of the worst extracts.

evilbible.com
Franck
17 years ago
3 weeks ago
By Jaygull | Permalink | On 12 October 2012 - 01:11 AM
I'm an atheist, but Christians tend to focus on the teachings of Jesus and implicitly reject any moral authority from the Old Testament.

This depends entirely on which Christian denomination one belongs to and how one as an individual wish to interpret the Bible.

Mainline protestants tend to focus more on the word of Christ while the more fundamentalist factions of protestantism will give more importance to the Old Testament.

But yes, the Old Testament is indeed very violent, as you'd expect from something written at the time that it was.
Eric Portapotty
15 years ago
2 days ago
Come on TS, the website is evilbible.com, I'd be surprised if the purpose of the site is other than showing how evil the Bible is.

I won't pretend to know of a site which offers a better explanation, but there should be sites with a more well-rounded perspective on the Bible.
Franck
17 years ago
3 weeks ago
By Portaloo | Permalink | On 12 October 2012 - 04:17 AM
Come on TS, the website is evilbible.com, I'd be surprised if the purpose of the site is other than showing how evil the Bible is.

I won't pretend to know of a site which offers a better explanation, but there should be sites with a more well-rounded perspective on the Bible.

While it is true that the website has its own agenda, the quotes it cites are straight out of the Old Testament.
Eric Portapotty
15 years ago
2 days ago
By Franck | Permalink | On 12 October 2012 - 11:32 AM
While it is true that the website has its own agenda, the quotes it cites are straight out of the Old Testament.

The quotes are open to interpretation, and the guys over at evilbible.com might have interpreted the verses to show that the Bible is, well, evil.

There's probably other verses that the guys have neglected to quote, in order to achieve their purpose.
Franck
17 years ago
3 weeks ago
By Portaloo | Permalink | On 12 October 2012 - 04:48 AM
The quotes are open to interpretation, and the guys over at evilbible.com might have interpreted the verses to show that the Bible is, well, evil.

There's probably other verses that the guys have neglected to quote, in order to achieve their purpose.

Are you seriously trying to argue that the quotes Telegram Sam has in his opening post could be interpreted as anything other than direct instructions calling for certain sinners to be killed?

The Old Testament is violent and filled with all kinds of cruelty, that is an absolute fact that cannot be argued against. Whether that makes it "evil" is up for interpretation, but you cannot seriously claim that the passages that TS has quoted are anything other than direct calls for violence.
Eric Portapotty
15 years ago
2 days ago
By Franck | Permalink | On 12 October 2012 - 12:06 PM
Are you seriously trying to argue that the quotes Telegram Sam has in his opening post could be interpreted as anything other than direct instructions calling for certain sinners to be killed?

The Old Testament is violent and filled with all kinds of cruelty, that is an absolute fact that cannot be argued against. Whether that makes it "evil" is up for interpretation, but you cannot seriously claim that the passages that TS has quoted are anything other than direct calls for violence.

Good point that. :/
DB
15 years ago
7 years ago
"I stand for your right to be religious but please know that your wrong"

Carroll.
15 years ago
3 years ago
Think the most worrying thing is at there was Adam, Eve and their two sons. Well one got killed, but figure that one out.
Ehmo
17 years ago
5 years ago
By Carroll. | Permalink | On 12 October 2012 - 07:51 AM
Think the most worrying thing is at there was Adam, Eve and their two sons. Well one got killed, but figure that one out.

Yeah... no that's not how it goes.
Slashman X
17 years ago
5 months ago
Premium
Lol, the Bible
Zinedine Zaiddin
14 years ago
3 years ago
By Portaloo | Permalink | On 12 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

By Franck | Permalink | On 12 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

I believe if you want to take interpretation of Bible or Koran verses, you need to refer the whole surah or chapter. Only then you get why it written like that.
Franck
17 years ago
3 weeks ago
By Zinedine Zaiddin | Permalink | On 12 October 2012 - 10:50 AM
I believe if you want to take interpretation of Bible or Koran verses, you need to refer the whole surah or chapter. Only then you get why it written like that.

If you're going to be like that, you may as well say that in order to interpret the Bible, you need to read the Old Testament in the original ancient Hebrew and Aramaic and the New Testament in the original ancient Greek because some words may be translated in more than one way.
Slashman X
17 years ago
5 months ago
Premium
bluemoon.
17 years ago
3 months ago
Premium
By Zinedine Zaiddin | Permalink | On 12 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

And I believe that's bollocks.
Boone
17 years ago
8 years ago
I see no issues with the quote regarding to mediums and fortune tellers.
Telegram Sam
15 years ago
10 hours ago
Premium
By Boone | Permalink | On 12 October 2012 - 13:16 PM

Then you're a massive cunt.
Boone
17 years ago
8 years ago
By Telegram Sam | Permalink | On 12 October 2012 - 13:20 PM
Then you're a massive cunt.

Didn't quite see I was joking there, did you?

*edit* - Not the first time I've been called that though, so maybe there is some truth to that statement.
terriersmad
16 years ago
3 years ago
As a Christian I have no problems admitting that sometimes I hate the Bible. And it doesn't help that I'm kicking about with a bunch of pretty fundamental nutters at the moment (they think the universe was created in seven days because Genesis says so and nothing may be allowed to contradict what it says in the Bible, just as one example of their thinking). But what's forgotten - by Christians as well as by those who knock religion - is that the entire Bible was written in days when hairy men ruled supreme and no one had a clue what a Higgs-Boson was. Even Paul in his letters to the Thessalonians, Corinthians, Romans, etc, can't be said to have had the deeper understanding we have of the universe. People who ignore that deeper understanding in favour of the literal words of the Bible (stating that they are the Word of God) have entirely missed the point.

But do I believe God created the Universe? Yes, I believe He did. But I don't believe He did it in seven days and created woman as an afterthought. I know that evolution is an absolute fact. I support gay marriage - despite what it says in the Bible - because I believe I know why the Bible bans homosexuality, and I believe I know why it's utterly irrelevant. Other radical things I think include that it's OK to eat pork or touch the skin of a pig with my bare hands (look them up), or to wear garments of more than one cloth.
Phoenix Arrow
15 years ago
1 year ago
Hmm.
When you say you're a Christian and that you believe in God, do you believe in him/her as an entity or as some kind of driving force behind life?
I don't believe in a God, but there are certainly forces in the universe which are godlike. Take the big bang. What happened there is largely fantastically and it's highly unlikely we will ever have an enough evidence to suggest this is what definately happened before it. It's possible to look at things like that and to look at things like the origins of life and to say it's godlike... to say there's a god in nature or something like that.

But those godlike forces are ultimately determined by chaos and to put faith in chaos is retarded. It's also retarded to believe in Noah and Moses. The Bible is largely a collection of fables and morals. If you look at it as anything more than that then I don't know.
Ehmo
17 years ago
5 years ago
Why is putting faith in chaos retarded?
Shola
16 years ago
5 years ago

Yeah they should have seen it coming.
terriersmad
16 years ago
3 years ago
By Phoenix Arrow | Permalink | On 12 October 2012 - 19:13 PM
Hmm.
When you say you're a Christian and that you believe in God, do you believe in him/her as an entity or as some kind of driving force behind life?
I don't believe in a God, but there are certainly forces in the universe which are godlike. Take the big bang. What happened there is largely fantastically and it's highly unlikely we will ever have an enough evidence to suggest this is what definately happened before it. It's possible to look at things like that and to look at things like the origins of life and to say it's godlike... to say there's a god in nature or something like that.

But those godlike forces are ultimately determined by chaos and to put faith in chaos is retarded. It's also retarded to believe in Noah and Moses. The Bible is largely a collection of fables and morals. If you look at it as anything more than that then I don't know.

Entity. Of the omnipotent (He started the universe - pretty good case for being omnipotent, that, so far as I'm concerned), omniscient variety.

To look at the Bible solely as history is wrong. But to look at it as largely a collection of fables and morals is equally wrong. There's an equilibrium to be found between the two, which makes reading and understanding it a pain in the backside. Hence fundamentalists who don't like engaging their brain and just take the literal truth and tell anyone who doesn't accept their point of view that they're spending an eternity in Hell.

And just before anyone asks me why there's pain and suffering in the world if God loves us so, I've struggled with that one enough over the years myself. I've always identified as Christian - even if I'm a million miles from perfect in following the teachings - but it's only been the last few months that I've really started trying to understand my faith. And I do think of it as a faith, and not a religion; to my mind, religions are mainly lists of dos and don'ts, whereas a faith is putting your faith into something - in my case, my faith is in Christ my Saviour.

And I now look like a religious nutter. Brilliant.
Ninja
14 years ago
6 years ago
How can you say on the one hand that the bible is the word of god and then on the other discount it's main tenants as being written by people who didn't know any better and as such their moral teachings aren't applicable?
terriersmad
16 years ago
3 years ago
If God were to pass on a command to you now - be clean of disease - but left you with nothing more to go on, how would you interpret that command? You know that avoiding germs in a day-to-day sense is impossible, but you know certain things are more likely to pass on illness and disease than others - unprotected sex, eating uncooked meat, a dozen other things. So what would you write down in your teachings? The essence of the Word would still be there, but the directions provided would be the directions of a man, and therefore bound to a time and particular understanding of the world around us.

Does that go some way to explaining my understanding of the Bible? Feel free to call me a hypocrite if you want - this is the sort of thing you can ask a dozen Christians about and get a dozen different responses. I personally feel that faith is more important than following the word of Biblical law.
Ninja
14 years ago
6 years ago
But then how are you following god?

I mean the only tangible 'proof' we have of any kind of Christian god existing (and I use proof loosely) is the bible, and if you live your life by the commandments of the bible, conventional wisdom holds that you're going to heaven.

If you ignore the bible as an antiquated, outdated book whose moral teachings are, in many cases, harmful. Then you're not living your life along the Christian line surely?

I mean, I get what you're saying. But surely if you don't believe in the bible as a guiding light then your way of achieving salvation is just going to be that of just being a good person, then in which case surely your salvation would be achieved without the constant praise of an intangible Deity?

I certainly feel somewhat uneasy with the idea that the Christian religion, without any moral compass because the bible is pretty much useless, effectively comes down to 'if you don't worship this god that gave you free will, you're going to hell no matter what good you do. It all just seems very narcissist to me, if there indeed is a Christian god.

You'll need to Login to comment